• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

I'm going to meet my first real maker!

Believe it or not (actually, if you read all my questions you'll probably believe it!) I'm, meeting my first "real" knifemaker this weekend. Laredo7mm lives about 45 minutes from me and I'm heading down this weekend to fix a botched heat treat I screwed up, then play with Damascus or folders or something. My goals: re-HT this knife, make enough Damascus to last me a year, forge my first knife, and walk out of there with two folders, all in time to be home for dinner. So, we'll see! ;) Oh, and if there's time left I hope maybe we can turn me a matching pen and pencil set out of Sean's famous damascus.

I'll take my digital camera and if you're lucky you'll see me catching myself on fire or smashing my thumb with a hammer.

If you smash your thumb do it good so you will have something to tell your grandkids about.

Sounds like a good time to me, but I have a feeling you are expecting to get alot done for the time you will have there. Enjoy it for what it is.....

Doc

I know, I was kidding about the time. If I can HT this blade and see a real maker in action I'll be pretty darn happy. I don't want to smash my thumb TOO badly as it's sort of important for my life as a chiropractor. :D

All the more reason to smash the he$$ out of it!

Just enjoy it and try ot carry away as much education as you can. You would be amazed at what you can learn from a good one in a day.....

Doc

When I visited a more experienced maker for an afternoon I cut about 6 months off my learning curve, got an integral mostly forged out, and got more new ideas then I think I'll ever have time to get around to. You'll enjoy yourself and learn alot.

sweet deal......one hour with Bill Moran nearly changed my entire outlook on knifemaking...and just 10 minutes with Bruce Bump - opened my mind completely.

If I remember correctly chiropractor's can fix anything including thumbs. My chiropractor is a good friend of mine. He's been over a few times to work on some blade forging. I always kid him about the chiropractor schooling he has had. I always ask him if the first thing they taught him was how to say "see you later"...... :D

Wow, a real knife maker? None of those live here. :D ;)

Thanks for the compliment. It will be fun. There are lots of things we can get into, I just need to make the trip and get my propane tanks topped off. Sounds like I have some work to do. ;) We can make some cable damascus, mokume, regular damascus, trun a pen, or ht a knife. It all works for me.

I just want to get Chiro in front of some power equipment since he does every thing by hand. I don't what will make a better first impression, the power hammer or the 2hp grinder?

The HT is a must. I have a knife that's profiled that I'll bring, too. Haven't hit it with the files yet, so there's only a couple hours work in it, so I can hit that on the grinder and see if I can control myself! :D

sweet deal......one hour with Bill Moran nearly changed my entire outlook on knifemaking...and just 10 minutes with Bruce Bump - opened my mind completely.
and ten minutes with me would give you physological problems for years :p :p :p

Back