I'm Impressed: Field-Lite designed by David Bloch

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
Sometimes you have to sit back and enjoy the basics in life. I thought I was at the point of my knife collecting that zytel and AUS8 would never grace my pockets again. I was wrong.

I was in the sports shop a week or so ago and my son was looking for his first fixed blade knife. He chose some Remington cheapie and as he was talking to the sales lady I asked to see the spear point Field-Light from Outdoor Edge. Not sure why, I am what you call a bit of a steel snob. Exotic steels and the latest locking system is what I usually want in my folders. Hell, I'm a fixed blade guy at heart but something caught my eye about this knife.

I'm impressed, David. You have done a wonderful job with this knife. It is a light, perfectly size, economial folder that has an incredible fit and finish. For about $40 you get AUS8 steel. Not the greatest but certainly not a bad stainless and the easiest to sharpen IMHO. You get a grippy handle which they call Tri-mond, a smooth as silk action when deploying the blade & its thumb stud is reversible. A sturdy lock up with NO blade play what-so-ever and a pocket clip system that is incorporated into the butt of the knife...in other words it doesn't make the clip "stick" out. The blade length is 3 5/8 inch and you can get the knife in either clip or a spear point.

I got the spear point. Talk about a distinct lock up. The click when locking sounds more like C-L-I-C-K!!. The thumb serrations are recessed on the back of the blade and is comfortable to hold and the edge is scary...and I mean scary sharp.

What a great knife! Only $40, too. David, I tip my snobby hat to you. You designed a great knife. Move over Cold Steel, Outdoor Edge has my zytel/A8 loyalty now.
smile.gif

David, you should be proud you produced a great tool here. I have to get the clip point now.

Regards,

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Greg:

Many thanks for your support and we greatly appreciate the Field-Spear review. I really believe these are some of the best quality and ergonomic Zytel folders on the market. Unfortunately with all the competition and the decline in demand for Zytel lockbacks, this line has been some what of a sleeper.

I trust your review will help spark some new interest in these models. Thanks again.

To view our Zytel folders go to: http://www.outdooredge.com/lites.html

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

Well...I couldn't help it, I just ordered the clip point version. Gonna be nice users. Anyone else have an opinion on these knives?

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

I noticed in Steven Dick's book, the Working Folder that there are several positive references to this knife with several pictures. Funny how you can miss something and skim over it until you realize, "hey! I have that knife!"

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

David,
I got the clip point today. Just as nice as the spear point. Quick question (actually 2).

I notice dual thumb studs on the clip point and "Field-Lite" etched on the blade.

Is this a later model? I thought they came with just one stud.

Thanks...love these knives.....

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

To Kodiak:

The double sided opener was an improvement we started in 1998. As far as the Field-Lite die stamp, this is on almost all the clip point blades we've made but not on the Spear-Point since the false edge grind eliminates the area to place the stamp.

As a good customer, if you prefer the double sided opener e-mail me your address and I'll send one up to you no charge.

Since you are a big fan of our Field-Lite series, be sure to check out our Pocket-Lite and Pocket-Spear. The plain edge Pocket-Spear is one of my favorite every day carry folders.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

David,
Got the thumb studs....I wanted to thank you for sending them. I appreciate it.
smile.gif

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

JKM-Chai

I've got one on the way! Outdoor Edge makes an incredible product for the money. This will be my first fieldlite, but if it is anything like the quality of their other products I know I will love it.

Only one problem, all my distributor had was the partially serrated version. :( I really wanted plain edge, but figured I would make the sacrifice to get my hands on one.

To Dennis:

If there is anything you can't locate through a distributor we will sell it direct. If you are interested in the plain edge version call me tomorrow at 800-447-3343.

Just got it in. I am impressed. I like the design better than the Endura or Voyager. It is extremely comfortable. Fit and finish are also excellent. I have come to expect this kind of quality from Outdoor Edge.

I am surprised that more dealers don't stock these.

Just got the latest Blue Ridge catalog. No mention of the Field Lites or Pocket Lites. Are these going to be discontinued? :(

Originally posted by shootist16
Just got it in. I am impressed. I like the design better than the Endura or Voyager. It is extremely comfortable. Fit and finish are also excellent. I have come to expect this kind of quality from Outdoor Edge.

I am surprised that more dealers don't stock these.

Ah-hemmm....I been saying this for a long time. :D

Glad you like it Dennis. I like this design 10x better than the Voyager. I too wondered why more dealers don't carry this. In Steve Dick's book on the working folder there are several times he mentions how good this knife is.

Opens as fast as an Endura and looks better than the CS zytels. Great knife for the money.

Back