1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I'm not much of a Spyderco fan, but . . .

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by evilgreg, Jan 28, 2013.

1. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

. . . I have to admit to falling sort of in love with my new Southard.

I've bought a number of Spyderco knives, trying to find the one for me, and ended up selling or gifting all of them except a PM2 that's still in the box that I got a killer deal on. These include a Sage 1, a Sage 2 and a Chapparal among others. Even though I just really didn't click with any of them, I kept trying them out because they seemed to be so popular on the web forums I'd been lurking (like this one). I found them oddly shaped, weirdly big for their size and just generally not for me.

So when my wife, who isn't into knives, suddenly bought me a Southard that she chose on her own, I was simultaneously touched by her gesture, by the fact that she'd researched and chosen a nice knife for me on her own, and horrified that I was going to have to pretend to like a Spyderco knife. I hid my initial dismay (you may have seen my amazing wife thread over on the general forum) and told her I loved it. The thing is, I didn't love it at first sight. In fact, I'd always thought the knife was on the uh, well, fugly side.

I've been carrying it ever since, and while I still think it's not the prettiest beast I definitely don't have to pretend to like it. The Southard is a seriously well engineered chunk of knife, and I'm a little bit horrified to find myself sort of loving it already. I carried a Sebenza for a few weeks and, while I appreciated the craftsmanship and it was a very nice knife, I didn't fall in love with it. I'd had the Southard for about a day when I started figuring out how I could customize it to better fit my EDC requirements.

I do have some minor complaints. The dirt colored G-10 isn't attractive, and I find it overly grippy for my purposes (though that texture would be great for heavy use, I think). The hole in the blade--well, I don't think I'll ever learn to appreciate that trademark Spyderco feature. Also, the Southard is incredibly solid considering how reasonably light it is for its size, but it's a little bit thick in the pocket and slightly asymmetrical.

To hopefully fix most of my minor complaints (baby poo color, rough scale texture, asymmetry, hit with the ugly stick), I put the knife in the mail today and sent it off to Barry H. to do one of his gorgeous looking CF jobs on it. I'm not a Spyderco fanboy yet exactly, but I was really sad to see it go and I can't wait for it to return.

Is the Southard the Spyderco knife for people that don't usually dig Spyderco knives?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    Congrats and..... image_zps60024c6c.jpg so this will need to be fixed:p

3. bfwhite

bfwhite

Jan 7, 2013
    I wasn't either but I find myself wanting to build a collection. I ordered my first one and it arrives on Wednesday. The Manix 2 has not arrived and I am already looking for the next one.

4. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    Well, if you compare the Spyderco Southard to Brad Southard's customs, you will see that the design cues are all there. Only difference really is the addition of the Spydiehole. So there you have it, you dig Brad Southard's design. I like the grip on the G10, its my only brown knife as of now so Im ok with it. I'd like to get another and pimp it with perhaps a different color G10 maybe CF. I like how I can have what is practically a custom Southard complete with its quality and F&F, for $230. Very happy with it, edc'd it today actually and put it to good use.

5. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Spydercrack. You're gonna get another...and another...

6. Deputy572

Deputy572

Jan 20, 2013
    Wanna sell that P2?

Anyway I too am a Spyderco convert. It feels good to find a knife to be excited about. Do you know what your custom job is going to look like? If so, do tell because the looks have really kept me off the Southard.

7. evilgreg

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm hoping it will look like this one. Thinned down a touch to make it more symmetrical, and with some sweet looking LSCF instead of the gritty brown G-10.

8. SurfingSalmon

SurfingSalmon

Jan 11, 2011
    Actually the Spyderco Native fills that role! I was reading up on it one day and learned that the thumbhole is purposely "inside" the blade (i.e. there's no ubiquitous thumb ramp) to attract buyers who prefer a more traditional look.

But anyway, about the Southard:
    Glad to hear you enjoy the knife! I in fact like the feces like color of the brown (2013's new black?), though I agree with you about the rough scale texture. Definitely useful, but not something I particularly need/require.

9. RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

Mar 13, 2009
    The asymmetry doesn't bother me as neither did it on the Leafstorm. It has no effect on use however it does on people's symmetrical brains! I think it rides in the pocket as perfect as a flipper this size could. It's shape makes it curve towards the back of the pocket making it as unobtrusive as possible. I've mentioned it in other threads but I believe the Southard to be one of the most well thought out, best made Spydies of late. It's not a FFG splinter picker that we've seen a ton of lately and it's a refreshing design.

10. Nafunu

Nafunu

Oct 12, 2011
    Could be. It certainly has a different look and feel from most Spyderco knives. In fact, if it wasn't for the trademark Spyderhole, I think you could be excused for thinking it wasn't a Spyderco.

11. evilgreg

Dec 25, 2012
    No argument, I love the way the knife feels. The blade is thick enough to feel like it would be there for whatever you needed, but it slices well enough in most cases at the same time. The ergos are great, and I don't have any feel issue with the asymmetry at all--it's just one more ding against the knife's appearance, IMO.

The rough scale is the grippiest texture I've had on a G-10 scale, impressively so. For hard use I'd love it, but I want to EDC it and that means a lot of the time that scratchiness and great extra grip are unnecessary for my use.

Yeah, the hole is the one flaw that will remain after Barry H. does his magic. I'll just have to pretend it's not there :)

12. Eastwood

Eastwood

Oct 23, 2012
    I've only been collecting for a short time but the Southard is my Grail. I can't wait for my tax cash to get here so I can order one. Glad to hear that even though your not a Spyderco fan this knife has sparked your interest. Please post pics when it's back from being pimped.