I'm reading the writing on the wall, China

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by MyLegsAreOk, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Alsharif

Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Different strokes for different folks? I think they're a great value for the quality. They produce different models for every budget

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    The reason you see everything Made in China is because number one, labor is cheap and number two, the Chinese government literally pays 100% of the shipping for all exported goods. I'll say that again; export shipping is free.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  3. Dknight16

Dknight16 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I have zero Chinese Spyderco Knives. I never will. Fortunately Spyderco offers several country of manufacture alternatives today. Hopefully they will continue to do so. Or I’m out.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Striven82, 4mer_FMF, husq2100 and 2 others like this.
  4. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    I also do not understand peoples prejudice against China. I understand disagreeing with politics, i understand there might be shady business practices in some areas...

But to act like the entire country and its population all hold those standards is absurd. Its not like the US or ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD hasnt had their fair share of shady people and actions. To act like China stands alone in that world is honestly just stupid. People wanna talk about slave labor like our own country wasnt built by those same ideals.

Unless your hobby is politics why mix the 2?

Totally in agrreance with this reponse!

5. StoneAndSteel

StoneAndSteel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    That’s why they’re my favorite “mass manufacturer.” That, and they do things in SO many different steels.

Alsharif likes this.
  6. Alsharif

Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    The only one with the guts to deal with the likes of Maxamet

willc and StoneAndSteel like this.
  7. fatsubie

fatsubie

Aug 6, 2014
    I never own a Tenacious, and probably never will.

8. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    What? Not sure where you heard that but that's not true in my industry. The owner of my company is Chinese and imports all of our product from China. He'd get a kick out of that statement

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    kreole likes this.
  9. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    This used to be about "Made in Japan". Then it was about "Made in Taiwan". Then it was about "Made in China". Next it will be about Cambodia, and Indonesia, and Vietnam, and Turkey, and who knows where next.

The Zieg and kreole like this.
  10. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    People love having prejudices. That's for sure.

I suspect making up enemies spices up life for those needing more flavor in theirs

11. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Given their population and that they have fewer people in prison than the US, you can see this isn't true.

Zieg

sharp_edge likes this.
  12. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    The reality is, we all vote with our pocketbooks and manufacturers who don't listen to the "voters" wind up going out of business. If most people only want to spend under $50 for a knife, Spyderco would be stupid not to offer a significant number of knives in price range. I doubt that means they'll stop offering plenty of models for those who want "high end" knives, even though there are probably just as many folks pissing and moaning that "All the new Spydercos these days are over $300" as there are whining about there being too many inexpensive ones made in China.

StoneAndSteel likes this.
  13. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    It was a joke!!

The Zieg likes this.
  14. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    No joking this is a serious political discussion. Sarcasm only. /s

The Zieg and nephron like this.
  15. nick800

nick800 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2016
    The Tenacious is junk. I like the design, but the steal is a joke. I had a few stashed in the car, drawer, etc. If you so much as fart on it, the blade goes dull.

16. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Many Chinese companies offer quite a bit of better budget blades than the tenacious. But yeah usually budget blades dont have premium materials and QC.

17. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2013
    Though I don't currently own any, I don't have a prejudice against Chinese made knives, and won't rule out ever owning one. The fact is however, though I have seen many knives from China in recent years that interest me, there are also too many knives before them in line on my want list from the countries that I traditionally have taken pride in owning knives from (US, Japan, Italy, Germany, etc).

As it pertains to this thread, I don't really see things going the way the OP sees it for Spyderco. If anything, Spyderco more than any other large company in this hobby always seems to keep us knife enthusiasts in mind with their offerings IMO. Their presence on these forums is proof of that.

18. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Man thats a bit too intense! How could you say so about the 1st Spyderco I had? ;)

19. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Ans yet he still owns more than 1 lol

20. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    The only way I see Spyderco becoming “Chinese” is if one day it’s owned by a larger corporation...but I don’t think that’s gonna happen any time soon!