Review Imanishi 220 Pop Rocks, Arashiyama 1k, 6k, Proper D2, and VG10

vD0bvkf.jpg

From left to right, you're looking at the 220 Pop Rocks from Imanishi, the Arashiyama 1k of somewhat rare mention, and the mythical Arashiyama 6k. Let's check 'em out!

I soaked them for about a half an hour. Initially, the 220 bubbled so aggressively it sounded like I spilled a container of Alka Seltzer tablets in there. The other two were well reserved with nearly zero bubbling.

Today, I wanted to correct some of the crapbag bevel I put on my Adamas when I was using the Baryonyx stones for the first time and experimenting with high pressure sharpening. Side note: yeah, it's not my thing.
Kr9zDFh.jpg

So this is what we're starting with today: notice the belly sweep fattens, as well as the average bevel width narrowing slightly as it moves closer to the tip. This happens when I have to use too much pressure and cannot smoothly control my stroke. As well, the DLC coating at the shoulder took a beating, but I don't really care about that.

cbw3Cn2.jpg

Look at the surface. I was very intrigued to see how a blade felt sliding over those craters. Thing has more bubbles than an Aero bar. As you can see, the stone doesn't really hold water. You will not be able to puddle the surface. Any large excesses of water just drip through the stone. This, however, posed no issue with sharpening.

KFLbjHG.jpg

The Pop Rocks is a solid 220 stone. It is a moderately hard stone, and basically shits on the Norton 220, but that Green Brick of Garbage doesn't really set too high a bar. This Imanishi stone will excel at refreshing the bevel almost instantly, but it isn't hard enough to define a new bevel. I was unable to manipulate the hideous shape of my preexisting bevel, but whatever, the knife is a user, so I just need to get it sharp, and that bevel problem will slowly correct itself over time. The air bubble craters could be felt while using the stone, but despite the slight bumpiness, there was no real issue there.

L7nbLLh.jpg

Notice, here, the stone produces enough mud to scrape up the primary bevel, an aesthetic concern that does irk me somewhat. Also, as I said earlier, the stone was too soft to properly redefine the bevel, so you can see there is a blurry shoulder there.

The strength of this stone, like I said, is that it will reset a preexisting bevel to 220 grit ridiculously fast.

A decent stone that does indeed fill a role, however, it is handily beaten by the Naniwa Traditional 220, which is hard enough to reprofile a bevel, and is the same price. And both of those stones are handily beaten by the Naniwa 220 Sharpening Stone, as well as the Shapton Pro 220. Those two stones are top-tier, and truly allow you to succeed in the ultra-low grit game even alongside diamond plates.

doeFMOu.jpg

Time to lap the Arashiyama 1k, which has a really neat color that makes me feel like I am using a natural stone. That is, it looks to me like it has been found in a riverbed or something, not that it mimics the performance of Japanese natural stones, because I wouldn't know--I don't use them.

E3pE2Xl.jpg

I love how the mud is a different color than the stone.

This is a hard stone, and Benchmade knows how to properly heat treat D2, which means jumping from the 220 all the way to the 1k ended up being a little far...
ef2RN84.jpg

It shined up a lot of the bevel, but it failed to effectively remove the deeper scratches.

That meant it was time to bring in a special guest, and one of my favorite stones, the Naniwa Pro 400!

Wham
DbStmB3.jpg

Bam
Y9qUMRo.jpg

Thank you, ma'am
j4w8Ydk.jpg

Got the bevel cleaned up at the 400 level!

Afterwards, I hit the Arashiyama 1k again and saw results more appropriate for the grit. I also applied a little more pressure to my stroke to get the stone in line. I actually ended up thoroughly flattening it twice, just to make sure I got the outer layer off. It indeed appears to be quite a hard stone that benefits from a slightly more deliberate stroke. There were no issues loading, and I also experienced no hand fatigue or anything like that.

Overall, I enjoy this stone, and I do feel that it is a great stone, but it can be difficult to justify using it over the Shapton Pro 1k. That is an extremely hard (splash-n-go) stone that works so effectively you sometimes wonder why you would use anything else. Freakin' love that stone! So, admittedly, although the Arash 1k is solid, I did still find myself thinking about the Shapton while tackling the Adamas' surly D2.

I was kind of expecting similar performance when I finally arrived at the myth, the legend, the Arashiyama 6000:
OV4LP2v.jpg

Just look at that dope ink, bro.

Another beautiful crosshatch pattern. Just look at the lines, the geometric perfection! People call me the Crosshatch Picasso, no big deal or anything...
APiwina.jpg

RdrOxD7.jpg

After a solid lapping, we got 'er flat and none of my pristine crosshatch artwork was anywhere to be seen.

Honestly, I was pretty excited to use this thing. The mud generated with my flattening plate felt incredibly soft, and the texture of the stone, its level of hardness, really suggested I'd love it...

irJKc2h.jpg

Aaaand I sure as Hell did.

Oh my lord, it was like sharpening on a slab of butter. It was so creamy smooth feeling, yet not too soft. It was a moderately hard stone, definitely more forgiving than the very hard (and very awesome) King 6000. Really enjoyed working with this stone.

That being said, BM's D2 is some beastly steel and the resulting finish was milkier than the 6k finish you'll get on softer or less wear-resistant steels. I thought it might be the stone, but I then took the blade to my well-used King 6k which threw up the exact same finish.
cSsPYW8.jpg

You can see above, the edge reflects my camera, but there is some noticeable haze.

That was not particularly surprising. D2 is pretty well-known for not being an optimal polishing steel.

Satisfied with the apexing work, it was time for some stropping. Being, however, that the steel was proving to be harder to work with than the average stuff, I thought I'd hit this thing with some fresh compound:
c3hLohN.jpg

6M0YFf4.jpg

I stropped for longer than usual, and despite the milky-polish tendency of D2, and the hazier 6k finishing point, I still managed to extract quite a beautiful mirror.
LJtCrB5.jpg

U9USS3c.jpg

So in the end, the Pop Rocks 220 is a solid stone for its price, but is unable to perform all of the duties typically demanded of a 220, thereby making it slightly niche, or specialized. It is an enjoyable stone overall, and is clearly better suited to lesser and softer steels.

The Arashiyama 1k is another great stone, but does fail to stand out among its competition. It performs well, looks cool, and will certainly last a long time, but I am unable to tell you why you should use it over, say, the Shapton Pro 1k when you need to sharpen up a hard bitch of a steel.

The Naniwa Pro 400 is a kick ass stone that swooped in to fill a yawning gap. It is a hard, fast working stone that tackles its role so effectively that there really isn't much reason to go for any other options. The Shapton Glass 500 is another incredible stone in the role. That being said, their Achilles heels are their price relative to the competition.

And the Arashiyama 6k is every bit of the legend people say it is. It is like a better King 6k (and I really like my King 6k)! It is softer than the King, so the feedback is nicer, smoother, and the stone produces some mud to really even out the bevel. Both stones are hard enough to clean off and set a crisp apex with, however, again, the King is noticeably harder yet.

On the whole, I very much like the "set" but will not be choosing them for maximum wear resistant steels. Next time I use these guys on some different steel, I'll post an update. I want to be clear that I basically selected the perfect storm for this review: hard-ass steel, massive grit jumps, and a very demanding reprofile and sharpening. Unless I was using diamond plates, no hone was going to blow me away with its performance.

P.S. Given the insane inconsistency in steels labelled "D2" I am seriously appreciating Benchmade's example of it. D2 is a fantastic tool steel that, when heat treated properly, can be one of the best blade steels out there (DutchBushcraftKnives examine the Autine Leuku in D2 and find themselves extremely impressed thanks to the heat treat); its reputation is going to fall as this recent rise in the steel's use has brought softer, or even questionable, heat treatments, or even outright doubtful compositions of the steel to the market. For example: Pete's work on the Cedric and Ada Youtube channel has revealed a shoddy execution of the stuff from Viper as well as Kizlyar and even an example from Y-Start that performs like scrap steel and while claiming to be, is very likely not D2 at all.

Last edited:
Wow, that 220 looks like a literal kitchen sponge! Did you consider other coarse stones instead? I have the Nubatama Bamboo 150, and while I haven't done my D2 blades on it, it did reprofile an M4 and 52100 blade pretty good.

Wow, that 220 looks like a literal kitchen sponge!

Yeah haha doesn't it though?

I am jealous of your Nubatama 150. I really want to try those stones, but I just haven't gone about the process of ordering some yet. Have a few Nubatama stones for the Edge Pro that I would love in full size though.

Yeah, ultimately, for 220 stones, there are others I would personally go with. Honestly, the Shapton Pro 220 and the Naniwa 220 Sharpening Stone are so good at what they do, I don't really care to look at much else, it's just for 30 bucks how could I not try the Pop Rocks, y'know?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Nubatama 150? Is it as good as everyone says?

Wow that's a cheap stone. But for $20 more you could get the Shapton Glass , and for me, that's where I'm headed.

The Bamboo 150 is a mess to flatten, but it works pretty good. Not a splash and go stone either, but I only let soak about 2 mins, then just keep a lil trickle of water on occasionally. Gives a much better finish coming off it , and much easier to work (for convex edges) than the DMT XXC. It does dish pretty good when sharpening/re-profiling for convex edges/grinds. I imaging it would stay a lot flatter for standard saber/v-grinds.

Honestly, I am looking at either getting Shapton Glass 220 (to support the Nubatama) or the Shapton Glass 120 (to replace it) because after getting the Glass 500/2000 stones, I was impressed enough to want to replace all my Naniwa Choseras with the SG's. Or maybe I will get both. I have learned in my sharpening journey that low grit stones are way more important for me (zero grind convex re-profiling mainly).

I was trying to get the Nubatama 24 grit stone from Ken Schwartz before he stopped responded to emails awhile ago. The Baronyx American Mutt stones seem to do a pretty good job for a lot cheaper. Just have to PUSH IT, real good.

Wow that's a cheap stone. But for $20 more you could get the Shapton Glass , and for me, that's where I'm headed

You absolutely cannot go wrong with SG stones man. Damn I love those. Although I haven't used the Glass 220, if money is no object, Shapton products are absolutely uncompromising.

Man, I didn't know the Bamboo 150 was soft lol. Ken heavily implies that every single Nubatama stone is both insanely hard and mind-blowingly fast.

You'd best move fast with the Glass stones... They mayyyy have been discontinued? There was a bunch of Shapton drama recently, so American Pro stones are no longer available, and the Glass stones are now much harder to find...

I revisited the Arashiyama 1k and 6k with different steel, just to see if there were any significant differences in performance.

The knife in use is the Vanguard Sovereign in VG-10. Hardness is kind of difficult to find, but I don't see why it wouldn't fall in the standard 58-60 range. Either way, let's get to work.

Here's what we are starting off with:
jQX2nwI.jpg

The edge has a pretty nice 6k mirror which was achieved with the King 6k and some stropping. In certain lighting, the bevel will look completely mirrored, but in other lighting, you will be able to see the very fine grind lines of the 6k stone, so you definitely could take the polish higher. I've simply just been pulling the classic 1k (on Shapton Pro) to 6k (King) combination for maintenance because it's so fast. One, two, done.

9Fspf9V.jpg

The Arashiyama 1k is a very hard stone. I expected maybe some slight difference from the D2 due to the significant hardness difference in my steels, but there wasn't. The stone is hard and doesn't feel like you're doing much. That is, unless you bust out a slurry stone. I think I am going to cut my King 1k up and use it for toma nagura, as I am simply tired of my King Deluxe 1k. It's a great stone, but I've used it for soooo lonnnng and I can afford to use better/more interesting stones now, but I digress.

The point is, once you have a slurry, the Arashiyama 1k comes alive like Dr. Frankenstein himself worked his curious chemistry on it. Cutting speed was there, the feedback was there, and the finish was a proper 1k, as opposed to the shiny burnished 1k look that it gives you without the slurry.
rTRrm6L.jpg

This photo is not meant to display the grind lines of the edge. It would be a terrible pic for that. What this pic is meant to show is a matte reflectivity that is in line with a 1k result, as well as the bevel uniformity afforded by the use of the slurry. Nice. We'll be going into the 6000 strong then.

So yeah, The Arashiyama 1000 benefits greatly from the use of a slurry stone, or presumably a toma nagura. Although I haven't explicitly tried that yet, the principle is the same: use mud.

On to the Arashiyama 6k:
cjjXhUc.jpg

The buttery King 6k!

Again, this stone feels at home with a slurry. I worked my blade for a while without any slurry wherein I noted it felt very similar to the King 6k, only slightly smoother. Without the slurry, the surface loaded a little on me. I decided to bust out my slurry plate and gave the surface a quick little scrub, flattening it a little in the process.

pjY8hcF.jpg

I didn't care to work up a huge amount of mud. Just a little. I'm patient. I would rather spend the time working the edge for a couple more minutes rather than use up more of the stone than necessary. I find sharpening quite therapeutic.

And with some mud, it would appear Frankenstein had performed his necromancy yet again. The feedback was decent without a slurry, but with it, it was all the smoother. I could feel my bevel like I had eyes in the stone. My strokes passed over the creamy surface in complete silence. I worked both sides of the bevel a couple times then checked out the edge:
CePVrsp.jpg

As you can see by the blurry reflection, and the light bouncing off those white grind lines on the right, we have achieved our hazy 6k mirror and are ready for some stropping action.

vhC8PR5.jpg

I put a fresh layer of substrate on my ultra-classy hockey tape strop. This time I used some green chromium oxide compound from Canadian Tire. Good stuff.

SmmOHpY.jpg

UGGP4wZ.jpg

And there we have it! Back to sharp n shiny!

So my thoughts are this:
The Arashiyama 1k is a cool stone that is hard as a bitch and basically requires a slurry stone. If you bust that out, the stone works fantastically, and has an interesting (and entertaining) nuance that gives the stone some real character. Like I said, it has some kind of found-in-a-river natural stone vibe that is different and thus may be appreciated by enthusiasts like myself. However it still stands that for pure functionalism, this isn't the top stone. Look to Shapton Pro stones, or diamond plates for that, because what is awesome and fun about those stones/plates is how damn well they work.

The Arashiyama 6k is very similar to the King 6k (which is a great stone), but it feels noticeably better. Not vastly better, but they are so similar otherwise that you won't really see any reason not to use Arashiyama. Excellent performance and standout feedback.

Both Arashiyma stones benefit from slurry, as really any stone would, but these two feel like they were kind of designed for it. So on that note, the next time I use them, I'll either have my slurry plate on hand, or pick up a King combo stone and break it up into some toma nagura to use.

Thanks man! I'll look out for that review ;) You can never have too much literature on sharpening stones... so many options to choose from, so much fun to be had!

Nice stones, some of my favorite.

Don't worry about Shapton, both the Pro and Glass are still available. CKTG is the main seller currently. Stones are shipped from Japan on boats so it's not uncommon for 3 month lead times from the time a vendor places an order. That's why it seems like it takes forever for some stones to restock.

Lastly, I do not recommend using a slurry of any sort unless polishing large blade roads like found on Yanagi, Deba or Usuba style Japanese knives. It might feel "better" but you will get a better edge without and the stone will work better. The mud is literally for large surface polishing and any experienced waterstone sharpener will tell you that the final sharpening should be done with a stone flushed with clean water... myself included.

Duuuude, I'm pumped. Speaking of CKTG, I just ordered the 320 and 12k to help round out my Shapton Pros. Can't wait!

I like using mud for stones like the Arashiyama 1k, specifically; Shapton Pros, for example, are hard too, but they have no issue cutting. The mud helped me form a burr faster, cut with less pressure, and created a cleaner bevel, and then, yes, you flush the surface and set the apex. I would hope anyone using waterstones is aware of that principle. I figured it was standard practice

Duuuude, I'm pumped. Speaking of CKTG, I just ordered the 320 and 12k to help round out my Shapton Pros. Can't wait!

I like using mud for stones like the Arashiyama 1k, specifically; Shapton Pros, for example, are hard too, but they have no issue cutting. The mud helped me form a burr faster, cut with less pressure, and created a cleaner bevel, and then, yes, you flush the surface and set the apex. I would hope anyone using waterstones is aware of that principle. I figured it was standard practice

It may seem like it but the mud is only giving you feel and not much else. I too once worked up a slurry as I thought it was the correct way but eventually learned I was wasting time and stone. I also learned that the stone should build the mud during sharpening and only very hard Japanese Natural stones should ever be used with a nagura stone. Using diamond lapping plates to produce slurry is a poor choice because you are cutting chunks of stone into the slurry much larger than the actual abrasive size. Synthetic nagura is not much better because you are left with Coarse synthetic nagura material in the slurry. Both of these can cause ugly scratches in the finish and in the case of the diamond plate alter cutting action of the stone.

Truthfully, it's not that big of an issue and most won't be able to tell the difference one way or the other but, it does put an unnecessary step into the process.

Overall, I enjoy this stone, and I do feel that it is a great stone, but it can be difficult to justify using it over the Shapton Pro 1k. That is an extremely hard (splash-n-go) stone that works so effectively you sometimes wonder why you would use anything else. Freakin' love that stone! So, admittedly, although the Arash 1k is solid, I did still find myself thinking about the Shapton while tackling the Adamas' surly D2.

The Arashiyama 1k is another great stone, but does fail to stand out among its competition. It performs well, looks cool, and will certainly last a long time, but I am unable to tell you why you should use it over, say, the Shapton Pro 1k when you need to sharpen up a hard bitch of a steel.

Back in 2011 Stuart Tierney of Tools from Japan (now-closed) did an interesting series of tests on 1000 range water stones used on chisels and the Arashiyama appeared very well rounded over all. The Shapton Pros were the slowest wearing stones in the round-up but struggled with 3V steel whereas the Arashiyama did pretty well. Since writing this review have you noticed anything like this?

How do you compare the Arashiyama 1000 to the Bester 1200 that you reviewed around the same time, two year later?

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=713

Arashiyama;

012811_0541_Waterstonet1.jpg
012811_0541_Waterstonet2.jpg

Pretty good, all things considered. I know it’s difficult to see what’s on the stone, but there is a hint of metal there, and the finished bevel is quite clean with little polish. 7/10

Shapton Professional [Japanese/US]

012811_0541_Waterstonet17.jpg
012811_0541_Waterstonet18.jpg

Borderline ineffective. Note the significant polish and many lines at the edge. It’s working, but running out of steam a little too early on in the game. Expect to see more of this later, but for now, not recommended. 3/10

Back in 2011 Stuart Tierney of Tools from Japan (now-closed) did an interesting series of tests on 1000 range water stones used on chisels and the Arashiyama appeared very well rounded over all. The Shapton Pros were the slowest wearing stones in the round-up but struggled with 3V steel whereas the Arashiyama did pretty well. Since writing this review have you noticed anything like this?

How do you compare the Arashiyama 1000 to the Bester 1200 that you reviewed around the same time, two year later?

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=713

Answer to the question: Bester wins by a slight margin as a no frills mid grit sharpening tool, but the Arashiyama provides a more satisfying overall experience. My exclusive application has been knife edges

The rambling context:
Hey man, yeah, I read that post actually. It was excellent. And I am terribly sad to have seen the end of Tools From Japan, as I was lining up for a mega purchase right around the time he shut down. I’m glad I managed to scoop the Gokumyo 20k from him before the end though. That stone is an absolute FREAK. There are few stones that I would say are worth $500CAD but if I lost that stone, I’d have another ordered later that day.

Anyway, I digress.

Bester vs Arash:
Bester for just raw capacity to function as a tool for sharpening. It’s faster, it’s harder. Not by much, mind you. But it wins performance by a margin.

Arashiyama wins for fun factor. It’s more aesthetically pleasing. You muddy it up a bit with a slurry stone and enjoy a superior Japanese Waterstone Sharpening™ experience. It still cuts well, it’s still hard, but there appears to be more wholistic essence put into it when compared with the Bester.

Personal opinion?
I do believe mud/slurry hastens the effect of sharpening. The free-floating abrasive mud supplements the primary abrasion from the hard stone surface. The Arashiyama is a hard dense stone that will also generate a mud, unlike the Shaptons, presumably enhancing their capacity to abrade.

I have affirmed this personal theory with King and clay based stones. A King 1200 struggled with Spyderco PM A11 until I generated a mud to assist with the cutting. Waterstones and high-alloyed steel are nauseatingly controversial, so I will just state that was my personal observation and perception and drop the subject.

But anyway, that’s why I suspect the Arash succeeded nicely on the 3V.

In closing, I obviously recommend both, if possible, and my recommendation will shift to either stone depending on the kind of sharpener you are

Thank you. It is interesting to see that your perception of hardness changed over time, unless I misread this. Is it a matter of one feeling harder but wearing faster?

Bester vs Arash:
Bester for just raw capacity to function as a tool for sharpening. It’s faster, it’s harder. Not by much, mind you. But it wins performance by a margin.

The Bester revealed itself to be notably harder than, say, my King 1200, which really isn't that muddy. Definitely not as hard as the Arashiyama 1k though. A different feel... more porous.

Thank you. It is interesting to see that your perception of hardness changed over time, unless I misread this. Is it a matter of one feeling harder but wearing faster?
That’s just poor diction; I should’ve said denser. That feels like a more accurate term. The Bester is vitrified, the Arashiyama is formulated with some natural grit, giving it a different sort of texture. It has a comparable surface texture to Naniwa Superstone resinoid stones. Indeed, it may also be a resinoid stone. I am unsure

Indeed, the more closely I consider the term “hard” as a descriptor, the more I am seeing it fall apart.

I would probably use the terms friability and, perhaps, surface density (as related to the binding method, if that information is available to me).

The Bester is less friable, providing black swarf. It’s surface is more porous, and is also thereby a thirstier stone. This porosity and texture are typical of a vitrified bond

The Arashiyama is a little bit more friable, but due to the stone composition and potentially the binder, it has a nonporous surface texture. The friability is by no means high, or even moderate. But it is indeed more friable than the Bester, self-generating a small degree of mud

Both stones provide the impression of being relatively “hard” but in slightly different ways

Last edited:
Back