Impact of forums on knife sales

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mendezj, Sep 2, 2020.

1. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Over the years, I'd say I've spent thousands more than if I wasn't "hobby reading". @Spark should solicit brand name "impression" click$ from manufacturers. Everytime a brand (or branded model name) is mentioned....chaching. :D;):D

2. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Sources for information: Various BF threads, online research, and retail management.

High End knife that I've bought? Honestly, I doubt few, if any, will consider them "high end":

2018 Blade Forums (traditional sub-forum) Forum knife; Buck 301 stockman with Spey/Budding blade delete, long pulls on the clip point and sheepsfoot blade, CPM145 blades, and Elk covers.

SK Blades The Gentleman Buck 110; Nickel Silver bolsters a liners, black G10 covers, and CPM154 drop point blade.

SK Blades Smoke Jumper Buck 110LT.; Red FRN handle, CPM154 clip point blade.

SK Blades "Lil' Jack" Buck 112; Nickel Silver bolsters and liners, D2 clip point blade.

"High End" steel, but by no means a "High End" knife: (SMKW) Marbles MR431 D2 Sow Belly stockman; Has D2 blades, and black canvas micarta covers.
    (The "Marbles"/"Marbles Outdoors" brands are currently owned by SMKW.)

Sorry, but my budget/income since I had a stroke a bit over a year ago is almost enough for a new Rough Rider/Marbles/(BTI) Schrade/Old Timer/Imperial if I save up a month or two for it.

Received as gift from forum members; not bought:
    Case Amber Bone CV Canoe.
    GEC 852211 Northfield UN-X-LD (numbered) Harness Jack with burnt stag covers. (1095 blades)

GEC 610211 Northfield UN-X-LD (numbered) "Half Congress" with Green Briar Jigged bone covers. (1095 blades)

August 2020 Buck 110 Web Special; Brass bolsters and liners, Ebony Covers, and clip point S30V blade.
    Yes, I do know the difference between fact and opinion. :)

Question for you:
    How many of your friends and kin who are not "into" knives (if any) regularly visit a knife forum?
    None of mine do/or did while alive.

Question for you:
    How many threads have you seen in the last two months started by a new member, that starts with words to the effect "HI! My __ recently passed ... I inherited some knives, and I found this forum trying to find information on them..." (and what they are worth) more often than not?

I've seen at least 4 or 5, and I've no doubt missed some.

Question for you: Do you personally belong to a forum concerning a subject you are not now, nor never have been, interested in?
    I'm not, and I don't know anyone who is.

I'm sorry, @Grateful, that you find my posts insulting or offending.
    Suggestion:
    (a) Add me to your Ignore List. Then you'll never see another post of mine.
    (how that works, I don't know. Is my post a blank in a thread? does my post get skipped and the post count in the thread goes for example "19" then jump to "21" if my post was number 20?

3. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Traditional forums? Probably not all that much, in this day and age.

I'd put good money on that Instagram is WAY more influental than what forums are.
    Instagram and the knifesubs over on reddit have more activity than we have here on BF. Granted, the quality of discourse is worse over there, but the average knifebuyer prefers something simple, which IG and reddit is.

4. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    None of your questions have much if anything to do with the opinions and inaccuracies that you posted here and regularly elsewhere. So I won’t even comment on your questions. And I would never unfollow you. It’s just to much fun following your wise old pappy shtick and laughing at your wise wisdom and facts.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    AntDog, Quiet and craytab like this.
  5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I still don't see any facts or statistics that back your assertions, though I'd love to see the results of your "research".

Frankly, that you have been a member for six years and personally seen the hundreds if not thousands of posts in this very section with titles that are some variation of "Suggest a Knife for Me" and dismiss the impact these forums have had all these years is....well, politely, it's baffling.

AntDog and Grateful like this.
  6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The vast majority of knife buyers won't even go hunting, much less skin a deer. Your assessment is way off, in many ways, some just factually incorrect and easily disproven. Sorry.

AntDog, Lee D, Grateful and 1 other person like this.
  7. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to respond to this comment.

8. mendezj

Nov 24, 1998
    Excellent comment. Thank you.

9. Buellrider

Buellrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    If you have ever tried to purchase a highly sought after Spyderco Sprint Run knife you will know that the forum does indeed influence purchases. The majority of them sell out within minutes. I also agree with @Quiet that the impact of forums is more than what people might think.

Quiet likes this.
  10. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Can you at least spell Spyderco correctly?

craytab likes this.
  11. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think forum or online info sites have a substantial impact on sales, especially higher end knives and sprint runs. I don't know about most of you, but I don't visit online retail sites even once a week and what people say here has a significant impact on my sales site visits and eventually actual sales.

I generally wouldn't even know a new knife model came out from say GEC or Spyderco without the forums and if it is popular, it is pretty much sold out before I know about it. So, knife knuts impact sales. I would venture to say about 25%-35% of sales are because of online information not provided on retail sales sites.

The online sites have a profound impact on handmade knife sales.

Instagram.... never once visited.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Wurger190 and skyhorse like this.
  12. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I believe there are two distinctly different knife consumers . One is the average person merely wanting just to purchase a knife .
    These consumers will most likely purchase anything that catches their eye on sale at a discount big box store or possibly something online that looks like deal and happily go about their life. The second type would be those interested enough in what’s considered mans basic tool to take an interest and search for the best option that suits there personal needs and higher expectations .

13. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    There is also the lazy knife consumer who likes a good knife but really doesn't care what steel is used or a lot of the other characteristics discussed here regularly. The steel choice thing is fun, but it is mostly pushed by online chat and really makes little significant difference to most people, even folks here who are more interested. Hence that is why folks like Benchmade stick to a medium grade steel choice for the most part. With MAP the cost difference between many large retailers (Bass Pro and so forth) isn't that significant.

The lazy knife consumer might well search on a particular knife that catches his eye, but won't really participate much on forums like this.

14. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    All of the dozen or so customs I've bought were a direct result of this forum:thumbsup:. But can't really say it's affected my purchasing of production knives.

15. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    My first customs came from gunshow exposure. There was no internet then. And I agree with you about the handmade stuff in terms of online exposure. I would not even know about many handmade knife makers if it wasn't for the forums.

jlauffer likes this.
  16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have been attending the Blade Show since 1990 about every other year. You certainly get exposure to the custom makers there but frankly it all becomes a big blurr after a couple hours between all the makers that are there. If there was no internet, I would probably be buying most of my knives from AG Russell or that big knife store in Sevierville TN. There would be more knife specific shows however. The internet has impacted that significantly.

17. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Picked up a Spyderco Stretch in Super Blue steel thanks to hearing about it on the forum . Outstanding knife !

18. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Both of these posts hit on a truth; People posting on a BB forum will be far more likely to believe BB forums influence knife sales. It's where they hang out to find out about knives. This question probably should have been couched as "impact of forums on knife sales vs. other social media outlets".

This question is similar going to a German Shepherd Fan Club and asking "Hey, who likes a German Shepherd?". The OP's question was posed to the target audience and that skews results. This question won't reveal any surprises.

BB forums are one of the oldest, original forms of social media. As forumites, most of us don't realize how popular Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and even Twitter are with many knife makers and manufacturers. I generally despise all forms of social media and enjoy the old school BB format but I don't think this is the way of the future. The old avenues of forums and email are being replaced with faster, more socially interactive options. New knife makers are flocking to Instagram. In some cases, that's the only way to acquire a popular knife.

I'd be curious to see what the age breakdown demographics are of Blade Forums vs. an Instagram or Reddit knife group. I think we'd find that all the crotchety old farts are here and the kids are over there.

Not that I'm calling anyone a crotchety old fart, but I am.

One of them, I mean.

colin.p, JAB and Rykjeklut like this.
  19. mendezj

Nov 24, 1998
    You make a good point regarding the implicit skew in the question, or not. The question could well be referred only to forums. In any case, it’d also be interesting to open the spectrum of the question to all social media.

That said, evidently some smaller production brands (Microtech, Hinderer, etc.) depend greatly on social media for sales than older, bigger, more established brands (Buck, Case, etc.) It’d be interesting to have statistics, though.

20. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Based on the beads, prybars, cap lifters, and fidget spinners that all seemed to gain ground (no matter how ridiculous the price) in the edc market, I feel it’s safe to say social media has an influence on what people drop in their pockets everyday.