Imperial, not Schrade, but... can you help?

Hi all. Enjoy these forums and always find helpful folks here. This post is about the Imperial Frontier (Specifically: Double Eagle) knives. Hope someone, maybe Mr. Faust, can help. I've decided that these 1970's(?) vintage knives are some of the most beautful and useful ever built. I'm talking the fine (walnut) handled sheath knives, and I have a mint set of three (415-425-435), stainless steel, with sheaths. I have dressed out a nice deer this year with a second-hand, old, Ivory colored plastic handle 422 (dropped hunter), carbon steel, I think. I've also picked up some high quality folders. My main questions... Made by Camillus, I assume? As Imperial's top of the line knives? Except, of course, for the Frontier (Ireland) ones. The numbering system (three digits it seems for fixed blades, 4 digits for folders, seems to make some sense... but I'd like a real definitive list of what the numbers do mean. Any other info on these great old knives would be appreciated.

Reg

The Frontier line of knives was manufactured by the Imperial Knife Company from Providence, Rhode Island, before they went out of business in 1985. Although there is no written procedure for the numbering of these knives to substantiate my theory, I believe that this is how the knives were numbered. Of the 4-digit model numbers, the first two numbers were the series number of certain patterns, as follows:

40 Series - 2-7/8" Slim Serpentine
41 Series - 3-1/4" Sq. Bolster Serpentine
42 Series - 3-1/4" Round bolster Serpentine
43 & 44 Series - 4" Premium Stock
45 Series - 4" Lock Back Sportsman
46 Series - 5-1/4" Folding Hunter
47 Series - 3" Lock Back
48 Series - 5" Lock Back

The third number of the 4-digit model number indicated the number of blades. If the 3rd digit was a "P", this indicated a 2-blade knife with one of the blades being a specialty blade. A "P" in the 40 and 41 series indicated a pen blade, while a "P" in the 44 series indicates a Muskrat (small game skinning) blade.

The 4th number indicated the handle material, as follows:

1 - Stag
2 - Ivory
3 - Yellow
4 - Black
5 - Hardwood

As you had mentioned, the Rigid-blade, sheath knife patterns were all 3-digit model numbers, and I have not yet been able to establish a pattern for these numbers, with the exception of the last (third) digit, which indicated the handle material, the same as above. It is possible that these may have been numbered respectively, simply in the order of their existence, with the first digit, "4", being code for "Frontier": 41, 42, 43, 44.....

The Frontier line of knives was manufactured by the Imperial Knife Company from Providence, Rhode Island, before they went out of business in 1985. Although there is no written procedure for the numbering of these knives to substantiate my theory, I believe that this is how the knives were numbered. Of the 4-digit model numbers, the first two numbers were the series number of certain patterns, as follows:

40 Series - 2-7/8" Slim Serpentine
41 Series - 3-1/4" Sq. Bolster Serpentine
42 Series - 3-1/4" Round bolster Serpentine
43 & 44 Series - 4" Premium Stock
45 Series - 4" Lock Back Sportsman
46 Series - 5-1/4" Folding Hunter
47 Series - 3" Lock Back
48 Series - 5" Lock Back

The third number of the 4-digit model number indicated the number of blades. If the 3rd digit was a "P", this indicated a 2-blade knife with one of the blades being a specialty blade. A "P" in the 40 and 41 series indicated a pen blade, while a "P" in the 44 series indicates a Muskrat (small game skinning) blade.

The 4th number indicated the handle material, as follows:

1 - Stag
2 - Ivory
3 - Yellow
4 - Black
5 - Hardwood

As you had mentioned, the Rigid-blade, sheath knife patterns were all 3-digit model numbers, and I have not yet been able to establish a pattern for these numbers, with the exception of the last (third) digit, which indicated the handle material, the same as above. It is possible that these may have been numbered respectively, simply in the order of their existence, with the first digit, "4", being code for "Frontier": 41, 42, 43, 44.....

Back