Imperial vs. Metric Hex Wrenches on Cybertool

Multitools with Imperial vs. Metric Hex Wrenches
I asked this question a week ago on the Multitools subforum here but did not get any answers. Does anyone here know?

So a couple months ago, I got a new ESEE Izula with the handle slabs. When I grabbed my screwdriver/bit set to install the handles on it, I realized that the hex wrenches that I had, all metric sized, didn't fit!

Eventually, I dug around and found a set of imperial keys to fit the hex bolts on the Izula, but that got me to thinking...

Does the Vic Cybertool or Vic Swisstool CS bit kit (or Leatherman bit kit) come in both metric and imperial sizes, and which sizes you get depends on where you buy the tools?

I know that my Cybertool, which I bought in the U.S., has imperial hex bits. Does it come in a metric version too? Any way to buy just the metric bits for the Cybertool, if so?

What about the Swisstool CS (and Leatherman tools)? (I'm assuming that the CS bits don't fit the Cybertool, but correct me if I'm wrong).

The list of all "standard" available bits for Cybertook can be found in SAKWiki: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Bit+Driver
Thereis no difference between the bits sold in the US and elsewhere.

Swissbianco had all 8 of the above (plus one more, with 4mm flat on both ends) available for sale some time ago, and may still have them in stock.

That said, the Cybertook bit driver is a 4mm hex, which seems to be standard for "micro-driver" sets, such as this one from Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45432&cat=1,43411,43417

Please note, that cybertool driver is not magnetic, so unless you use the bitts with ball detent, they will fall out. The majority of the 4mm bits are manufactured without the detent, including those made by Wiha (Wiha being the rumoured supplier of bits to Victorinox).

PS. Bit drivers and bits supplied with Swisstool and Spirit are standard 1/4", so they are not interchangeable with Cybertool.

UFOX: I know this is an old post, but I want to thank you for providing the information on the bit kit from Lee Valley. I spent two days trying to find a match for the Cybertool 4mm bits with ball bearing detent, but came up with nothing. After researching Wiha and finding that they don't even offer them, I was about to give up.

I ordered the kit from Lee Valley and am very pleased with the quality and selection. The kit is made in Taiwan, but of a very high quality - the user reviews seem to be favorable as well. Since they don't list the individual bit sizes on their site, I'll recap them here. You get 19 bits: Pozi 0 and 00; Phillips 0 and 00; Flat 2, 2.5, 3 and 4; Torx 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; Ball Hex 1.5, 2, 2.5; Hex 1.5, 2, 2.5. Each bit features the ball detent and are 28mm in length - the exact length of the Cybertool bits. They fit in the Cybertool driver nicely with no wobble or loose feel.

Now for my opinion on Victorinox's selection of bits:
While four individual bits (each two-sided) may seem like enough for a pocket tool, anyone looking to round out or replace their kit with easy-to-find 4mm bits is going to come up short. In addition, the VIC bits are very expensive. Add shipping on to this cost and you'd be wise not to lose them. The entire kit shown on Lee Valley's site is $21. I wish VIC could be more flexible in standardizing these bits - I love the more compact 4mm size - unfortunately this configuration is all but impossible to find without going through Swiss Army or Lee Valley.

Wera make a 4mm (male) hex X 1/4" (male) square drive adapter (Wera part # 870/0). This can be used together with Wera part # 780 A/1 (1/4" (female) square drive X 1/4" (female) hex bit adapter. this two-part assembly allows the Cybertool driver to use standard 1/4" hex bits. Note that the 4mm (male) hex X 1/4" (male) square drive adapter has ball detents on both ends. Note also that any 1/4" (female) square drive X 1/4" (female) hex bit adapter may be used - it does not have to be from Wera. Be aware that the tiny 4mm hex drive of the Cybertool may not be equal to the torque requirements of some bigger fasteners that use bigger drive styles (eg 6mm hex, 25 Torx, #3 Robertson, #3 phillips etc)

Back