Important - I am not a Master!!!

I have heard that when you ask a Master Bladesmith's opinion on your knives - there are no holds barred - you get exactly what the Master thinks of it - and sometimes - it aint pretty.

TF

Andy and Nick here in the same thread. Two of the three makers I admittedly stalk here on Blade Forums. Now if Rick would just show up here we'd have the trifecta. We see all these collaborations here, I'm calling for a Wheeler / Roy collaboration. My imagination is running crazy just thinking of it.

Nick, don't forget that offer next time you're out back picking up those bombs left by the dogs.

I have heard that when you ask a Master Bladesmith's opinion on your knives - there are no holds barred - you get exactly what the Master thinks of it - and sometimes - it aint pretty.

TF
I heard Wayne Goddard say that once. He said he doesn't even like to talk to people about it cause they get butt hurt so easy.

The ABS website is very clear on this. If you ask for an opinion from a master - you are going to get it. It is designed to make you better - not make you feel better.

TF

Danco, feel free to post your work in my forum. I like seeing pics, etc. I haven't ruled out the ABS at all. I don't have some political bone to pick with them what so ever. The forging is the issue for me. I make knives for profit with my work week, and I haven't figured out how to fit forging the blades into my profit scheme. When I forge, its mostly for fun. The only thing I've forged recently was this knife, and I only forged in the curley cue.

20111021104_4674-vi.jpg

I plan to try to earn a voting membership to the Knifemakers Guild. It would be an honor to achieve that. No question. I just want to wait until I am ready to give it a shot. There is a lot of talent in that room, and frankly, it is intimidating.

I am a voting member of the GA Knifemakers Guild, and that organization has helped me with my knifemaking in a BIG way. I suggest finding some local guild and immediately attending all meetings. It'll help you a lot.

Thank you very much Andy. That means a ton. I have been working with a JS for almost a year now. It was the best thing I could have done. By the way, your offer to post in your forum made me decide to upgrade my membership. I have been offered so much help and positive encouragement from BF as a whole I needed to give back. I will send you pics through email and if you deem it ok then I will post them here. Thank you again.
Dan

No need to check with me on the pics. Nobody does that here. Post away.

Andy may not be a Master knife maker - but I hear he is a hell of a fisherman - which makes him a Master Baiter.

TF

Seems to me like Andy might be a "Master Mentor" already. There's no telling how much time he's "lost" helping other guys. Which is time well spent, in the grand scheme of things. As for me, I just chiseled some very nice walnut off of two of mine...and I need to email Andy some questions!

There is a bait shop in Isleton, CA that is owned by a guy who is a master in his field and felt the need to put that title on the shop. You guessed it - The Master Baiter. Just saying... ;-) I didn't ask what criteria is needed to call oneself a Master in this field.

Back