Improved Friction Folder

cbach8tw cbach8tw
I would think that you don't have to actively hold the tang down, since most FF's are built with a bit of tension on the pivot. This yields a more hydraulic feel to them. This slower action due to a slightly tighter pivot means it won't slam shut on your fingers, and it should stay open once you choose to open it. And I would think that Johns is no different. A Solid/strong pivot with some tension that needs you to push it open or push it closed. There should be No reason that it should open or close on its own.

Not only that, but with Johns construction method, it looks like you can tighten the pivot for a little more added security, if you feel like you want it. That being said, I don't think it would require any tuning as it arrives from John.

As for hot spots from holding the tang down; his tang doesn't look to be proud of the handle, so there should be no noticed rubbing. The only pressure that would open the tang, would close the knife, which would be putting your fingers at risk. I don't know about you, but I don't cut with the spine of my knife.
- For a ferro rod use, you can can 90° or sharpen the inside of the tang. This will keep your thumb safe and keep a crisp edge for striking.

For the shaping of the handle, I am sure that John would be willing to work with you for just about anything you would like. That said, I don't know exactly what you had in mind as far as amount of material and exact locations, And, I can't answer for him. I just know that he is a good guy and tries to work with his customers on any questions they have.

Last edited:
Back