1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Improvising a Shepherd's Axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by daizee, Dec 9, 2017.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    So this happened...

I had this not-very-interesting TrueTemper-stamped 3.75lb axe with a ribbed eye. This evening I got a wild hair, and decided to setup the idle bandsaw in the basement. Now I need to find a haft to start from. This is the 1.25lb result of the evening's shenanigans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rjdankert likes this.
  2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    WTH, can't edit this post to fix top image links...

ok, that's better. Silly editor is too smart for its own good. Or my own good...

Miller '72 likes this.
  3. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    oh my

Miller '72 likes this.
  4. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Miller '72 likes this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Uh ok ! Now what ?

Miller '72 likes this.
  6. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    You certainly sliced that True Temper pole to bit.

I am drinking coffee in front of the fire after a little snow shovelling, I come in and, well.
    When I get a hair across my arse I usually yell something regrettable and then go swing an axe not slice one...but that's me :D

You certainly expose a great part of the axe that is most interesting to see and examine.

Let's see what you have done this morning with the project.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    You got enough left over for a pickaroon

Square_peg likes this.
  8. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Picked up a tool handle today that I can hopefully mod to be what I want. A straight 36" full-size single-bit haft would have done it, but none available locally, and ordering one online and paying for shipping seems excessive for this project. So I'll pay in time instead.... :p

Agent_H, Square_peg and rjdankert like this.
  9. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Ditch blade blank would work.

10. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Ok, I hung the thing on a weird tool handle. (weird == I don't know what it was for) Didn't do a great job, but I'll play with it and ponder my next move. The whole business is too heavy. More on that tomorrow after I take some pix.

Yeah, the leftover has to be SOMETHING. It's still 2.5lb.

rjdankert likes this.
  11. SaturatedShadow

SaturatedShadow

Apr 28, 2010
    Very interesting, Daizee. This gives me ideas for the roughed up, no name axe heads I have lying around. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it up.

12. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    please be careful with this. i hate it when people butcher them and call it an "improvement" if you're gonna cut it up, do it smart

13. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    It was a stamped head but then again the ribbed eye jobbies are neither old, scarce nor valuable. Matter of fact removing some from circulation can only serve to increase the value of those that remain. Thankfully cutting-up or re-purposing axe heads is not everyone's bag either. I'm interested to see what comes of this project.

14. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    as am i, i was just saying dont reduce rather than re-use

Miller '72 likes this.
  15. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Here's the so-far set of pictures.
    The haft needs to be rounded a bit and the eye is obviously a little large for this scale of head. I left the wedge crude for the moment, in case I mess with it. But it's almost the right height, and holding onto the head like cane works pretty well. If I proceed along these lines, I'll make a cover that goes over the wedge and everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Square_peg and rjdankert like this.
  16. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    imagine using it waking down the mountain .... I think it is too short

Square_peg likes this.
  17. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    I agree, actually. It's fine for going up. :-/
    A full 48" would be better. This was the longest, straightest tool handle I could find. Starting from a bare board would give me more options, but that's a larger undertaking. This haft was $2.50 at the flea market!

Miller '72 likes this.
  18. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    Beavertooth has a 40 inch

Miller '72 likes this.
  19. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    FWIW:
    Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miller '72, junkenstien and 300Six like this.
  20. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Your going to need some of those pants to complete your ensemble.

rjdankert and Miller '72 like this.