in a few years he'll be...

a certified knife nut :D
thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few of my 12 year old sons collection, not all of his knives as a few saks and a buck nobleman and a few cheapies that arent in the shot. Think he's on his way though...
cheers
ivan

pictured are:
victorinox german army trekker
camillus barlow (mine before our trade:D)
rough rider canoe
colonial scrimshaw stockman
camillus aluminum army knife (was mine before the trade, never quite know what to call it when i describe it)
rough rider lockback
KIDDO.jpg

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
He's got himself an excellent head start! :thumbup:

Bastid

Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder.
Staff member
Super Mod
From the looks of those knives, I'd say his folks are bringing him up "right and proper" :D.
That is a nice set!

My son started his collection at 12 as a Boy Scout. For a while he got sidetracked into boot knives and other stuff that teens like. At 22 he carries a solid lock blade and keeps a good edge ,just like his old man.

I stressed that knives are tools first and foremost, and like my oldest knife that I've had for 38 years (Puma Skinner) and his granddad's Buck (which he bought in 1965) they're also family heirlooms to be treasured and passed on someday.

I have several knives that were discontinued such as a COLD STEEL Mini Tanto, A left handed Spyderco Standard, A Buck Mini Nighthawk, A Lakota Falcon, a Cold Steel Shinobu lockback with SAN MAI (laminated) steel, etc.,. that I hope will remain in the family for a long time.

Ivan,

Very impressive collection for a 12 year old.

+1 on the fine upbringing as Gus mentioned.:thumbup:

Great start, Very nice collection, in a few years he WILL be a real knife nut, this disease does start at a young age. :)

I stressed that knives are tools first and foremost, and like my oldest knife that I've had for 38 years (Puma Skinner) and his granddad's Buck (which he bought in 1965) they're also family heirlooms to be treasured and passed on someday.
Very wise :thumbup: Thats Exactly what i tell my son and everybody else, knives are tools to be repected but not necessarily feared. Its an inanimate object its up to the person holding it to conduct himself in a responsible manner.
thanks
ivan

Congrats to your son, and to you. Now which one of them does he carry?

Peter

out of these probably the RR canoe the RR lockback and the aluminum camillus :thumbup: (the rough riders are excellent knives for the price and with the variety of patterns gets a 12 year old with limited funds really excited :D)
cheers
ivan

Will Power

Gold Member
Fine set of knives for anybody to have,let alone a lad of 12,great expectations.....

I remember my first blade. Still my primary carry knife ever since my Great-Grandad gave it to me in celebration of getting my BSA whittling badge. I have had the Schrade Uncle Henry Stockman on my person ever since. It started my habit.

my son gets a kick outta the fact that his little assortment got responses and a bunch of views :thumbup: I will say he hasnt begged pleaded or plotted a knife purchase in a while so he has slowed down :D
Theres still time though...
ivan

camillus aluminum army knife (was mine before the trade, never quite know what to call it when i describe it)

I believe the proper thing to call these is "Demo" knife.

Get him a fixed blade, either a Mora or one of KaBars oversees made series of classic fixed blades. And also get him a "tactical" type of folder. Nothing with recurve tantos and glass breakers, but one with a pocket clip, thumb stud, and lock, so he can see what type of knife he prefers. A Kershaw Skyline or Spyderco Tenacious or Benchmade Ambush would all be good.

I believe the proper thing to call these is "Demo" knife.

Get him a fixed blade, either a Mora or one of KaBars oversees made series of classic fixed blades. And also get him a "tactical" type of folder. Nothing with recurve tantos and glass breakers, but one with a pocket clip, thumb stud, and lock, so he can see what type of knife he prefers. A Kershaw Skyline or Spyderco Tenacious or Benchmade Ambush would all be good.

he's got a buck nobleman that i posted a few days ago in the buck forums :thumbup: its got the thumbstud and pocket clip... he loves it.
I think all boys his age go through the tactical phase some of them never outgrow it :D i did and i ended up a slippie fiend :D
as far as the fixed blade, we'll wait and see, he did love my catt 225Q i recently got, so i know he would really like one
thanks
ivan