In Development... [UPDATE: They're here!]

Yeah, these are a good deal more complex in form than Tramontinas and CS/Lasher Tools machetes, so the cost adds up when you start adding features. Also, $60 is just the MSRP. When they actually arrive the pricing will be $44.98 for 1-2 units, $39.98 for 3x or more. :)

I wasn't as I didn't think any actual machete would be that expensive.

60 bucks would be alright imo for this item because it's (as discussed) not only a tool.

For 60 I can get like 3 very good tramontina or 2 or 4 CS machetes, all of which I've either owned or worked with with no problems. So from my viewpoint, looking at it as (now mistakenly) as a tool, I saw a 60 dollar price tag as a bit pricey and attached because of the sword-ness of the object.

We're just teasing you!

I actually have two of the Fell Beasts, by Huntsman Knife Company (that's his name here on BF). They're about 4 - 5 times that price; and they are among the finest machetes I own. I happily paid that, and would do so again!

It's never just the "need"....otherwise, we'd all have Green River camp knives, because they would be more than adequate.

We're just teasing you!

I actually have two of the Fell Beasts, by Huntsman Knife Company (that's his name here on BF). They're about 4 - 5 times that price; and they are among the finest machetes I own. I happily paid that, and would do so again!

It's never just the "need"....otherwise, we'd all have Green River camp knives, because they would be more than adequate.

If anything, the Green River knives would outperform most of the stuff currently sold for camping purposes on account of having better geometry. :p

Heh! I just did!

By the end of the year I will have 3 Fell Beasts!

What's the estimated ship date on these again? I'm not impatient; I just want to know how much time I have to think of a good excuse to tell my wife when it arrives.

Oh Nice... I look forward to the full review, would like to see some snap cuts on 1 to 1/5 inch branches and some pommel strikes and stuff.... really makes me glad I got my 2 ordered when I did.

Did you " special grade " the one you sent him or is that bone stock?

Yes, it's fully sharpened. The stock edge is a nearly finished "courtesy grind" left dull on the edges themselves, but a few quick strokes of a file are all that's needed to put an edge on it. This was deliberately done such that people in places where double edges aren't permitted would still be able to purchase them.

Yeah and the penetration into the gel torso isn't surprising--that stuff is like rubber. Super tacky compared to actual flesh, so it's sort of the same dynamic as when you try to cut foam board insulation with a knife--it just grips the blade and stops it dead. If the tip were narrower it could have pierced deeper...but it's not optimized for piercing ballistic gel, it's made for meat and heavy fabric.

Yeah and the penetration into the gel torso isn't surprising--that stuff is like rubber. Super tacky compared to actual flesh, so it's sort of the same dynamic as when you try to cut foam board insulation with a knife--it just grips the blade and stops it dead. If the tip were narrower it could have pierced deeper...but it's not optimized for piercing ballistic gel, it's made for meat and heavy fabric.
Sorry , I was unclear . I have no doubts that this blade would skewer a man straight through . I was just amazed at the great slice cutting . A more solidly fixed target would give more impressive stabbing result rather than simply tip over : and I could see that the test media is too dense for a proper analog for flesh . Great SD weapon potential , given a little maneuvering room . :)

Cruelty, Sir! You post this knowing full well we who ordered can't even fondle ours for two months. :D

1. Skallgrim! Always liked that guy. His lady too.
2. Zombie head! yesssss.
3. Tatami! Holy moley, it handled it without breaking a sweat.
This thing is gonna be fun city. I can already tell, and at the price, getting down and dirty isn't a worry. You probably shouldn't chop down 6" trees with it, but somebody is gonna, (not me,lol) and my bet is it does that and comes back for more.

You know, as far as being a stick in the mud goes I'm actually pretty excited to get mine in hand. Any update on the release date?

You know, as far as being a stick in the mud goes I'm actually pretty excited to get mine in hand. Any update on the release date?

They're being packed in El Salvador right now and should be ready to ship by the end of the month if things go to schedule. Then it takes about a week for them to get to us here in Maine, and then we'll inspect them all and get to filling the pre-orders. :)

As a further update, looks like it's taking them just a tad longer than originally projected, and they'll be shipping out within 1-2 weeks. I had to make sure the very pointy tips were being properly protected on them. They'll be putting a piece of rubber hose type material over the tips to keep them from punching through the shipping boxes! :)

They've been all boxed up in El Salvador ready to ship for a number of days now and I'm waiting for them to send me the bill so I can get 'em paid for and they can get moving. It's often a little frustrating dealing with the El Salvadoran sense of timeliness. They've done the work, now I want to give them my money so they can send the stuff. But I'm still waiting on them to get that together. :p As soon as that's taken care of they should be on their way to us.

Skallagrim hasn't come out with the full review just yet, but I'm on tenterhooks. :)

ASAP. Shown is the first round of pre-production sampling, and it needed a few corrections to get it closer to my original design sketches and stated parameters. We're working on ironing out some of those details right now and getting a second sample done up before moving to production, and production usually takes about 3 months once the order has been officially submitted.

Please make sure to order enough that these don’t sell out right away. And if they sell well please order more to be produced. This is a sword I just gotta have. I think this will become quite popular as word spreads.

What’s the steel btw?

Last edited:
Back