In Memorium - Edutsi - Yvsa Gigagei

Karda

BANNED
He was a Craftsman with an innate sense of form and beauty. He was a designer of several models here, namely the Yvsa Cherokee Special and the Cherokee Rose. He, Uncle Bill and Rusty were Brothers of the truest sense. He was a moderator of this forum.

Yvsa was not only my friend, He was my Uncle. He was your Uncle. He was Edutsi.

When i first came here to hang out and particpate, Yvsa was somewhat active and although he was in immense pain, he always came around to offer help, advice and guidance. At first we didn't quite hit it off well and had a couple of minor words. I thought he was a grumpy old man sometimes. As time progressed and i fit in here better, i took the time to approach him and ended up calling him. We had a good conversation where things were explained and let go of and we became friends. I'm so glad that i took the time to know this man. My life is Richer and better for having known him.

Sometimes when it's quiet in the house and my mind is being unquiet, i sometimes start reading and end up thinking about things past and things remembered. Sometimes i think of Uncle Bill and what i know of him thru others and his own writings, I think of Rusty thru what he left here on the forums for us. But most often, i think of someone who was very dear to me. Someone i miss immensely now that he is no longer here to tell me of his life and stories of his proud heritage and of these forums. I miss his wonderful way of seeing life, his insightful perspective, his fiery temper and his sly, dry and sometimes off color or off the wall humor. I miss having our sometimes long phone conversations and emails. But most of all i miss his loving and caring but sometimes even stern guidance and understanding. I sometimes ponder conversations we've had and reflect on advice given. It always ends with our last phone call and the last words he spoke to me.... "I love You, Nephew". I responded "Love You Too, Edutsi. We'll talk again soon.
Sometimes i wonder if he knew we would never speak again.

I'll see you at the Sky Cantina, Edutsi. You're buying.

News of his passing was posted by brother Kismet here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...reat-friend-and-shining-light-has-walked-West

I know he touched many lives here on this forum in various places and on others. Please post a remembrance, a quote, a story or what have you in memorium of him. At some point i will likely end up including this in the link library and stickying it, so that he can take his place with Rusty and Uncle Bill.

Last edited:
I first heard of this man named Yvsa when I read "Yvsa's ruminations on sharpening a khukuri" [Google it!]. Beyond the great advice in his writing, I was most impressed by his closing line: "...if I can learn to do it by hand anyone can." Helping others while remaining humble; this told me a lot about Yvsa.

Yvsa is loved (and missed) by many in this world.
Earlier this year he told me that his family includes nine great-grandchildren.
It's been an honor to count him as a friend.

Last edited:
When I think back to ten years ago when I was simply lurking and trying to glean some knowledge from the fine gentlebeings of this forum, Yvsa words were first and foremost what drew me in. Of course, there were many, MANY learned people here at the time. However, the wisdom and knowledge that Yvsa possessed simply seeped from his posts.

If ever there were a pillar of the HI community, it was he. I would go as far as to say that he was a powerful cornerstone that really kept the place together after losing Uncle Bill and Rusty. We have all tried to add and support that corner brick by brick and year by year, but Yvsa's absence is profoundly tangible.

May your journey West have been a warm pleasant one, old friend. It goes without saying, but you were earnestly beloved.

Yvsa left many posts on the forum, so reflections of his wisdom remain available for those that seek them out.

One time in Reno he pointed out a hawk making a kill. It was in a city parking lot. He had eyes that saw a lot. My kids and I watched the drama play out with him. We all took a lot from that day.

Oh no, I've been away for awhile and I logged into day specifically looking for posts by him. I've been thinking of him all week for some reason. Smoke up for everyone he touched.

Last edited:
Oh noooo! I've been away too long. When did he pass? Damn....... Smoke sent to u Yvsa.:angel: also in remembrace: Uncle Bill and Rusty!

Back on a new account. Though I am sad about his passing, it's comforting to see the place still has his touch.

Was touching up some knives using wet dry sandpaper and a strop and got them razor sharp. That of course made me think about Yvsa who turned me onto doing it. He was COOL.

Yeah, I know how that is.

I think of him every time I make his Chili Verde recipe, and when I remember the time that I sent him 5 pounds of cedar fronds from the front yard tree, and whenever I put a CA glue finish on a knife handle, and there was the time...

HD, a pleasure to see you.

Joe

Back