In need of great kitchen shears.

Just for reference my main kitchen knife is a Tsourkan 240mm work horse. I also have other mid range gyuotos. Strangely enough I've found that my Cutco super shears are holding up great! Sounds strange since overall Cutco's other products are rather weak but the shears are something that you should look at.

This is what I was going to recommend as well. The simple, robust construction along with the piercing ability of the humboldt seems like it would be really good for cutting in the kitchen. I dislike shears with plastic caps and such around the pivots which seem to come on many less expensive shears like Oxo and some JA Henkels, or many that you'll find at bed bath and beyond really.

Double tap

Last edited:
So I had a chance to try out the Tojiro shears and didn't like how they felt in my hands. The handles are so small that my index and pinky fingers were on the curves. It didn't feel great at all and I imagine that would only get worst if I had to apply any amount of force.

I'm also checking out the Mac 8.5" shears. They seem pretty sweet and are highly recommended.

https://www.macknife.com/products/mac-8-1-2-kitchen-shears-ks-85

Just for reference my main kitchen knife is a Tsourkan 240mm work horse. I also have other mid range gyuotos. Strangely enough I've found that my Cutco super shears are holding up great! Sounds strange since overall Cutco's other products are rather weak but the shears are something that you should look at.

Over and over, I see professional chefs recommending the Cutco shears. I'm not a fan of the companies practices so I'm hesitant to give them $120+ for their scissors though, lol. I put in an offer on a "brand new in box" pair that I found elsewhere. We'll see how that goes. :)

Snipping herbs or cutting poultry up? True poultry shears are often curved and have a notch near the handle for cutting joints.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwil...nless-steel-take-apart-poultry-shears-p138387

Mainly flower stems, some small vegetables, some meats (no joints), clamshell packages... Stuff like that. Basically anything my wife is uncomfortable using a knife on, or when I want to be lazy. They would probably only be used to spatchcock a chicken a couple of times. Those Zwillings look like they would be just the ticket if I was working with poultry more often. I imagine they would be a bit overkill for our needs though.

Man those are sweet, and I love supporting Baryonx! A 1/4" is seriously beefy though! Overkill? Hmmm...

Have used these take aparts for 7 years. No problems great kitchen scissors.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kitchen-tools/products/kagayaki-kitchen-shears

Those look really, really similar to the Tojiro's I just checked out, but with larger handles. That's intriguing. I really didn't like the handles on the Tojiros.

This is what I was going to recommend as well. The simple, robust construction along with the piercing ability of the humboldt seems like it would be really good for cutting in the kitchen. I dislike shears with plastic caps and such around the pivots which seem to come on many less expensive shears like Oxo and some JA Henkels, or many that you'll find at bed bath and beyond really.

Bingo. I can't stand plastic handled scissors. Dipped would be ok, but no full on plastic.

The Fiskars kitchen shears are among the best and cheap.

I'm trying to avoid the plastic handled scissors. Of the plastic handled shears, I'd probably snag the Kershaw Taskmasters if I went that route.

Alright, I decided to grab a set of the Mac Tools 8.5" Kitchen Shears. We'll see how it goes. :)

CUTCO scissors rock - i have cut pennies with them and my chase platinum(actual platinum in the center - every cashier says, "wow, this card is allot heavier than any other card i have felt.") card they say to send back to chase so it doesn't ruin your paper shredder. They separate, have good sized handles, are easy to clean and have lifetime warranty. I somehow electrically burnt blade and it effected the cutting edge and you could see the pit in the edge and the blackened state - after sending them in to sharpen since i did something stupid they sent me a new pair.

The Cutco's are super great for about everything but if you are fabricating chicken a curved poultry edge is better - it isn't choking the chicken but breaking it down into pieces unless you want to truss the chicken and forgo the fabrication process - then straight shears will cut the twine with ease. I am 6'6" and large hands but the Cutco's are pretty comfortable - bout 120 dollars but you wont have to buy another pair ever again.

You can spatchcock poultry with a Cutco scissor but the more open and curve shears lend themselves better for that process - Cutco will get it done but poultry shears open wider and cut easily through ribs and bones. Spatchcocking basically removes the backside of a chicken or turkey or duck (and is flattened breast/legs/wings side up to allow for great crispy skin everywhere, more even cooking, application of butter or herbs evenly without them falling off the sides like roasting a whole bird and you get to use the back, tail and neck for a super great stock chicken soup starter for any leftover chicken or to freeze in ice cube trays and place in freezer bags for later use.

OXO Poultry Shears - great grip, great price and its oxo comfort grip Handle loop and bolster prevent hand from slipping forward. I used these in culinary classes. Jaws are more open for getting into the middle of the back and into the cavity of any bird - like the Puffin they served in Iceland.

Premier 1 poultry shears are very good as well.

Back