In praise of the Dozier Hunter and a request for an upscale model!

19-3ben

Gold Member
@OFFICIAL_KA-BAR

Having read so many positive reviews of the Dozier hunter and what a fantastic bargain it was, I bought one for my son for his first pocket knife. I figured he could use it and use it, and in the event that he loses it, few tears would be shed. Turns out I was so damned impressed with that little knife, that I bought one for myself as well.

It's comparable in size to my well worn and frequently used Delica. Much to my surprise, despite costing under 1/3 the price of the Delica, I think I actually may prefer the Dozier. It's opening action is not as smooth as the Delica, but the lockup is tighter, it carries just as light, has a slightly lower profile in the pocket, and I find the handle more comfortable.

IMG_3252.JPG IMG_3253.JPG
One thing I do not understand, is how Kabar has been missing the boat on an upgrade model?!?!? Other companies carry inexpensive, Taiwanese made, AUS-8a, Zytel scaled folders (yes, I'm looking at you, OKC and ESEE), and yet they also have D2 versions of these knives with G10 scales for around $50 as an upgrade option*. If you can do a Spyderco style wire deep pocket clip, you get major bonus points, but I'd call that optional.

So here is my request, for Doziers in G10 scales with D2 for right around the same $50 price point so that Kabar can compete with the Rat-1/2 and the ESEE Avispa and Zancudo. if OKC can do it, why can't Kabar. I'd add that it would also be the only lock back in that category rather than a liner lock. If you produce it, I'll put in a pre-production order.

Anyone else want to see this?

*Yes I'm aware that a decade ago, Kabar made a brief run of the D2 Dozier hunter but it was metal scaled, liner lock, and cost over $100. Not what I'm talking about here.

Your experience sounds a lot like mine, Only I got 2 of them for my son's, who were at the time 12 and 10. These Doziers hold up. My boys used them for cut bait, whittling, cutting down saplings, and a myriad of other tasks that boy that age do, even throwing them into a maple tree. They held up so well I bought myself 2. I would for sure be "in" for a D2 model!

I'd like to see another D2 version that isn't pinned construction on the lock-bar. A screw there and keep the Zytel would be fine with me. These knives are awesome so any additional version\upgrades they did I would be interested. But keep this standard version at the same low price point as well!

Last edited:
I bought Dozier folding hunters for my kids and for myself. I am a fan and might be in for an upscale version, depending on specs and price.

I've had one for several years now. Great little knife, and you can't beat the price.

Back