In search of compact hone/sharpener

Has anyone tried the DMT Diafold for maintaining the flat side in the field? The only small sharpeners I've come across are the triangular ceramic stones (about 4" long) and they aren't as aggresive as I would like. Also, are the DMT's succeptible to corrosion in wet conditions?

Kevin

Have not tried that model, but I am partial to EZLap. They have a wide range of products, and the flat models do not have holes, so you get a lot more diamond dust for the money, and they have various grits. I like the 1x6 flat stones for touch up, but they have numerous other sizes, including 3 and 4 inch if I remember. There should not be much problem with corrosion on the honing surface since the dust is plated on the steel with a nickel matrix, just clean like any other tool and you should be fine.

I have some big and small DMTs that I use for my other knives. Personaly I find them too aggresive for infi. My field sharpener is a white spyderco traingular stone from my old sharpmaker. I maintain the edge with the angular side of the stone and then I strop on a small piece of leather that is loaded with a medium/coarse polishing compound. Personally i find diamonds unecesary for Busses.. That is the beauty of infi, tough but sharpens easily.

One more thing...I found that it is easier to get an even burr with the angle of the stone rather than with the stone's flat side. You dont need to create a big burr just a tiny burr will do. Too big of a burr and you cannot strop it off.

I learned these lessons by ruining an MS (on a DMT) I called Jerry to arrange repair, and in the process Jerry's answers helped me become a better infi sharpener.

hope this helps! Cliff Stamp has a lot more experience with infi, maybe he can help.

Bill

------------------
It is all Greek to me

Strabs:
I have an ez-lap EZL-M that I have had for over 33 years now and it is still putting edges back on dull blades. The "M" starts out kind of course but I took a piece of solid carbide and scraped it back and forth around the whole lap to break down the diamonds and essentialy making it a "S"(smooth) instead of an "M"(medium). This little sharpener fits into just about anyplace you want it to...I started just "forcing" it into a knife sheath I had (with the knife in it)and eventually formed the sheath to take the knife and the sharpener. Since the sharpener is contained in a brass holder that screws into itself there was no damage to the back of the knife that was in the sheath.
I have used this ez-lap to sharpen machetes,saws,fishooks,knives,axes, and just about any other bladed item I have and it has yet to fail me and completely dazzles those who see what it does to their dull knives.
rolleyes.gif
, and
cool.gif

BTW, the ez-lap cost me about $20 back 33 yrs. ago, and guess what! It still sell for about $20.00 today!

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 12-03-2000).]

:
Kevin I like my DMT Diafolds for field carry.
I don't know about the corrosion factor, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue since they can be used with water.
I also have some EZE laps and I like them as well. You can pick up their
1/4"X 1"X 3" models at Walmart for about $5.00. Since they're on a steel base I think they would rust quite easily in the field under wet conditions.
The only thing I like best about the EZE laps is that without the holes it is easier to sharpen fine points on smaller blades.
HTH.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Thanks guys. I'll check out some of your recomendations.

[This message has been edited by Strabs (edited 12-03-2000).]

Back