In the Market... where to go?

So I grabbed two on eBay!! Got them 15 bucks for the both so a decent start to what is shaping up to an addiction.
I guess I can't post photos in here directly without a URL but one is a half hatchet and the other is a normal shaped head. Both seem in decent condition with minimal rust. The half hatchet is a Stanley made in the USA stamp and the other is unmarked. If I can figure out how to post photos I'll put them on here. Me and my bud want to try and hang them. Any tips for that?

Also I've heard vinegar removes rust (on cast iron at least..) but will that damage steel axe heads if I were to soak axe heads in vinegar? Any other restoration or hanging tips welcome!

Trying to post photo here...

HuNEW

Last edited:
Soaking in vinegar is a proven method of removing rust on crusty axes.
Just leave it in for no more than 24 hrs without checking on it.
Wire brush it real well and decide if it needs to soak longer.
Wash it off real well with water and spray down with wd40 when you are done.
Another benefit of the vinegar soak is it will reveal the Harmon, or heat treated line of the piece .
This can be scrubbed off with a wire brush or even a scrub pad.
If it is just light surface rust , you might just want to wire brush it real well.

Those don't look rusty to me, just patina. I would just use 000 or 0000 steel wool and keep them dark. But some people like the super clean look. Your axes, your choice. Those are nice almost like new as far as actual use.

At the very most I'd just use some steel wool and oil on those heads to remove any light rust and or grime.

That Stanley is a half hatchet, but you're lucky that it is because it looks just like and could've easily been a 28oz riggers axe. A riggers can be identified by its much larger hammer poll.

Luckily it has some decent nicks in the edge that need removing anyways, so you can just go ahead a d give it a bit of radius. Probably similar to that of the regular hatchet.

flea markets iam buying around 5 a weekend some winner some losers but with a price of under $5.00 each who cares it good practice for me. cleaning, sharpening ect.

Good Luck

I rw
flea markets iam buying around 5 a weekend some winner some losers but with a price of under $5.00 each who cares it good practice for me. cleaning, sharpening ect.

Good Luck
I really enjoy old pcs and I enjoy looking for them. But I have never found any at those prices. Good for you.

Back