In the Shop 12/17/2011 - The start of a Kitchen Knife set

I have done about one Kitchen Knife set a year and this will be the largest and most challenging set yet. It will have 9 knives and a matching steel all done in an apple green Nephrite Jade from British Columbia.

2011_12170007.jpg

These are the Viking Knives and steel I will be using for the knife set. I have already removed the factory scales and broken down the steel. The factory scales are formed and pinned to the tangs with forging scale still on the covered area and the tangs are far from flat.

2011_12170021.jpg

I have spent several hours with files and sanding wheels on the tangs when this photo was taken. This is hardened steel and I need to use very hard new files. One file is already worn out and I probably am about 30 to 40% through to getting the tangs flat enough for the stone scales.

2011_12170002.jpg

This is the Nephrite Jade I will be using for the knives. When I bought the Jade, it was originally cut for use as a table top. I cut the top into blocks and I have to adhere blocks of wood to the Jade to slab it thin enough for the knife scales. I use a very thin 16 inch blade that is made for cutting precious stone. It is only 1.5 MM thick which is about 1/2 the usual thickness for a 16 inch lapidary blade.

2011_12170022.jpg

Here is the Jade ready to be cut into the slabs that I will then cut into knife scales on my diamond band saw. The slabbing saws are in the unheated area of the shop so it may be a few weeks to a couple of months before I get to the point I cut these blocks. My intended completion date is not until June of 2012.

Last edited:
Back