In the shop 12/27/2011 - Stages of the work I do

2011_12270001.jpg

Things are constantly changing in the shop and especially on the group I am currently working on. I have just finished fitting all of the scales so next I will be grinding and rough sanding the group.

2011_12270002.jpg

I have started laying out what I think will be the next group although this can change right up to the day I start fitting the scales to the knives. I like to think about what stone and knives will be next for a week or two while I am working on a current group.

2011_12270003.jpg

When I have any spare time in a day - basically when I am tired already and do not want to start another very delicate eye and hand coordination task, I mark slabs for cutting and do some of the cutting.

2011_12270004.jpg

The cut scales go down the work area to a staging area for the basic grinding stage. This is the stage where I get the scales ground close to the final sized needed for fitting and the point that most scales break if there are hidden flaws or weak points in the stone. So, this stage is very stressful and I tend to do it in bigger blocks of time so that I can get 6 to 12 sets ground in one group.

Last edited:
Michael,

I really find this information interesting. Thanks for all your time to post these forum photo's. I recognize some premium rare stones that will end up as beautiful specimens. I'm anxious to see the completed items. Wish you the BEST in 2012.

Dennis

Back