1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

In your opinion, what's the biggest money rip-off in terms of knife ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, May 1, 2019.

1. Chapp

Chapp

Mar 28, 2018
    What knives, according to you doesn't deserve their price-tag ?

To me, it has to be the Benchmade Griptilian 551.

The whole thing feels like a toy. Cheap plastic handles, partial liners... for the price of around the Para-military 2 ? Big no from me. I dig the design of the knife, but I can't help to feel like it's a rip-off.

What's yours ?

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Anything over 90 dollars.

No, but,

Mad Dog Knives. Seriously, what the....

mmmotorcycle, OilMan, evltcat and 5 others like this.
  3. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    There are lots of examples I can think of. But you must keep in mind that to each is their own.
    I for one cannot fathom why Grismo Norseman costs $1000 or why Jim Skelton does not give away his knives for free.

4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I am engaging in heresy and immediately ducking for cover, Sebenza was special 20+ years ago, now, at $350 to $500, fogetaboutit! :rolleyes: :eek:

5. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I concur. At least update those crappy, pointy, difficult for large fingers to grip thumbstuds.

Anything "overbuilt," "tactical," folding prybar, stupidly thick and obtuse grinds, are just money wasted. If I need to pry, I'll buy a pry bar. If I need "tactical" or self defense, well I've got guns and Caney Joe. (68" solid hickory walking stick)

If I need something "overbuilt," designed to survive nuclear holocaust, zombie apocalypse, and space invaders, it won't be a folder.

Chisel grinds. If I need a chisel, I'll buy one.

We all know the companies who fall into these categories. The most heavy duty knives I have are a TSF Beast and a ZT 0095S90BLK.

Whether its a $5 Mtech or a $500 Medford, no thank you. I'd rather have a $1 jarbenza.

6. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Todd Heeter, BM Bugout, Medford.

7. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    AMEN!!! :thumbsup:

Getting older, Sid Post and K.O.D. like this.
  8. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Not a knife, but knife adjacent. This Emerson "combat axe" retails for a staggering $1995:

[​IMG]

Seems like a lot for a waterjetted piece of steel with some light grinding and a bit of maple.

9. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Medford

10. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    What's funny is I just did this a few days ago and a lot of panties got bunched up.

11. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    The problem with threads like this is

“if I don’t like it it’s a waste of money, but if I do it’s a great value”

I like my chisel ground Emerson, I like my Sebenza, I like some overbuilt folders, and I like my GECs

I’m going to pry with my knives, cut cans with them, dig with them, cut sand paper with them et. al. So super thin cuts like a laser just isn’t a priority

12. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I wish you were kidding, but I'm confident you are not. :eek: :rolleyes:

13. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    The problem with posts like this is they evade the question IMO, simply because it is IMO. :(

JDRanger likes this.
  14. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    What knives are, as you say, "ripoffs"? Yours.
    What knives aren't? Mine.

15. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is generally the correct one. :D:eek::rolleyes:

Btw, there needs to be an emoji that's has a poop on its head, effectively a ****head. I think that applies to many people and posts. (including especially me)
    Or a beef torpedo emoji.

16. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    The only real ripoff I can think of is that one company that takes cheap 440c blade OTFs with pot metal handles, re-brands them and sells them for $200.

17. herisson

herisson Knuckle dragging and mean minded Neanderthal Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    But where in tarnation has common sense gone ?

wayneblocker5369 likes this.
  18. Detroit Steel

Detroit Steel

Jul 12, 2018
    And who might that be?

19. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Emerson, no matter the price point they seemed over priced to me.

20. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    You too? And I thought I was the only one.

Pomsbz and Dr Blazer like this.