Industry Standard.

Oh and I love housekeeping my SAK's. Run under the tap with a bit of soap, shake off, back in pocket. I can't do that with a CPM154 knife even (the forum knife) or my Queen D2 knives. They will start to rust unless I dry them properly. I don't know if the water is particularly caustic here but what I love about the SAK is not having to worry about it.

Definitely a plus quality of Vic steel. All summer for me with my Walker: slice strawberries for cereal, rinse under tap, quick wipe to remove some of the water, close, back in pocket.

Hmmm. I have a Honda Jazz/Fit. The rubber seal on the door keeps coming off, the cup holder has been replaced twice and still flops open rather than holding drink, the tire deflate warning comes on every time I go over a bump and today the rear view mirror came off the windscreen when I had an important hospital appointment I couldn't miss. The car is two years old. :rolleyes:

To keep it on topic, I used the small blade on my SAK Spartan to cut up some gorilla tape to hold the mirror in place while I drove to the hospital. A bit later I used it to trim down fly netting I installed at the patio door, the little 'un had wrecked the old netting by being a little boy full of energy :D. The SAK small blade doesn't get enough good press.
I love the small blade on my Tinker. I'm in the carpet cleaning business and order supplies that come in boxes that are taped. The small blade allows me to cut the box open without damaging the merchandise.

As far as Toyota and Honda go, ALL vehicles will have a problem sooner or later. We love our Four Runner with 350,000 miles on it but yes we have had to fix a few things. Radiator leaked just last week. 2 years ago one of the intake valves was sticking. Overall we can't complain. I use Chevy vans in my business and at 200,000 miles you may as well drop them off at the nearest junkyard because you will be replacing parts all the time. My 2004 Chevy Express van needed a transmission, alternator, water pump and ball joints all before 200,000 miles. Someday maybe the American companies will catch up with the Japanese.

I love the small blade on my Tinker. I'm in the carpet cleaning business and order supplies that come in boxes that are taped. The small blade allows me to cut the box open without damaging the merchandise.

As far as Toyota and Honda go, ALL vehicles will have a problem sooner or later. We love our Four Runner with 350,000 miles on it but yes we have had to fix a few things. Radiator leaked just last week. 2 years ago one of the intake valves was sticking. Overall we can't complain. I use Chevy vans in my business and at 200,000 miles you may as well drop them off at the nearest junkyard because you will be replacing parts all the time. My 2004 Chevy Express van needed a transmission, alternator, water pump and ball joints all before 200,000 miles. Someday maybe the American companies will catch up with the Japanese.
That is a lot of miles on the Four Runner if it is a V6. I had a '92 4x4 Tacoma that had to have a head job done on it. But it turned out to be "free to me" and the dealership provided a car for my use until it was fixed. It was an unofficial recall with the V6 engine. Ultimately I got rid of that truck at about 250K as it was using about a quart of oil per month with no indication as to where the oil was going. Dealers scratched their heads on that one..... I cleaned it up real good when I traded it and there were actually people climbing all over it looking at it after I left it at the dealership and I hadn't even filled the papers out on the new vehicle yet.

Yes to Chevy Vans..... 200K and their junk. Fords can be a bit better but at 200K you're pushing it a bit. Mine will need new tires this year and that's about a $1000 pop. Yes, it is a work van. I use it when I need to haul a lot of stuff on jobs. Use my pickup a lot too but for lighter work.

Good idea on the small Vic blade.

I agree with the premise of this thread. I have so many pocket tools/toys that I recently talked myself of of a Leatherman Free T2. For my uses, Saks that I already have like the alox Farmer, and a lot of other pieces that I own in that price range/use intentions, throw shade on the T2. If I was starting out with multitool pocket knives the T2 would be a viable handy little unit. But no standard pocket clip and the base steel are turn offs, when I already have alternate options.

Back