Ineresting development in the M marked axes!

So I know there's been discussion over the years on what exactly these M marked axes are, we've heard Mann Edge Tool Co, Collins, etc. but the latest I found was...Snow and Nealley. There's an axe currently on that certain E-Bay for a 2 1/4 lb Snow and Nealley axe marked in such a manner, paper label and Snow and Nealley handle. I dunno if it's a Collins head that someone slapped a label and S&N handle on but that seems a bit far fetched.

Pictures from the auction.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Not sure, just saw it on auction. I can't imagine the china marked ones were marked Bangor Maine. Don't know much about Snow and Nealley (Ironic since I live so close to their old HQ).

The sticker doesn't look like the ones from the Made in China heads. Handle is that of the older ones too. Might be a fake? Someone did some elaborate work for it if so.

The two things I know are real are the handle and sticker, not sure on that head.

Last edited:
I am not sure for how long they had the heads forged in china. It was not exactly advertised as a selling point.

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the axe you posted pictures of. But it would be interesting to know if that is a made in China axe head. It was talked about before on these forms. I think maybe FortyTwoblades knows a little about these Snow and Neally's. Probably some others here also. I know little about them. That's why I asked.

I know the ones that are stamped Snow and Nealley Bangor Maine are good, and the new breed all USA made ones are good. 'bout it.

Might post this on another forum or two and get their opinions.

I know the ones that are stamped Snow and Nealley Bangor Maine are good, and the new breed all USA made ones are good. 'bout it.

Might post this on another forum or two and get their opinions.

I have been wondering about the new ones, I have not seen them or heard. Strangely quiet around here regarding them.

From what I understand they're still working on getting operations fully back up to par there working out of a Smyrna Falls now which is a few hours north of me but from what I've heard the heads are actually made out in the Midwest and the handles are made here in Maine

The transparent label of 'wear safety glasses' would be something seen starting in the early 1980s. Before that time most folks were aware of what they were buying and how to use it.

I collect Snow and Nealleys and I am always looking for them. I saw this listing when it first came up and contacted the seller with my concerns over the markings on the head. It flat out does not look right. The seller used to make sheaths for S & N and the axe was sent to him by S & N in the 80's. I believe that story but the markings have me puzzled. the finish on the head towards the bit looks right, there is a metal wedge but apparently no weight stamp under the poll. The poll looks less squared off than I am used to seeing. Just a strange piece that I thought about buying just for a closer look. My guess is that it is indeed a S & N made in the 80's during a time when the heads were not stamped at all. I am guessing that the M stamp was for designating the axe to a certain distributer but who knows.

There are more than a few questions that I would love answers to regarding S & N markings. I have contacted the present owners of company regarding some markings in the past but the new owners do not have all the answers regarding the older axes.
Some of the original owners and workers and their family are certainly still living and probably have some of these answers. It would be nice to have them before they are gone forever. How about some of you guys in Maine pull out the phone book and start knocking on doors!

Looks pretty authentic to me, and it significantly predates the Chinese-manufactured heads although it's a fairly "recent" one. The clear safety sticker tells ya' it's post-60's at least, but it's definitely not from any sooner than 20 years ago.

Something just popped into my head. I had one of these. No paper label, but everything else exactly the same, name on the handle etc. I posted it here because I was so proud and was promptly told by more than one member that it was not real and that someone reused a handle on a generic head. I removed the head and sold it for maybe $12-15. Thanks guys! True story.

I have a Dayton pattern boys axe on the way that is msrked with an M centered near the poll, and 2 1/2 in the center of the head. Should be the perfect pack axe for me coming in at 25 inches overall.

This is interesting. I've passed on several of these. Seem to remember reading that they were said to be more recent production Plumb or another maker that sent production to Mexico. Someone mentioned Stanley at one point but I think I've seen those with an "M" on either side of the Stanley logo.

Also heard they were Collins of some sort. Don't have a horse in this race but thought I would add to the soup- rocks are free. :)

I think they have been linked to just about every manufacturer. I don't really care who makes it. As long as the edge isn't butter soft.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. It needs some mushrooming cleaned off, but other than that she looks pretty good. The handle in the head looks a little sketchy from the pic I got, so I hope it not bad, going to be a pain to find another 24 inch handle.

Here is an "M" marked axe.

This one seems to be a Collins. Still not sure what the "M" stands for.

Back