• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

INFI Contest! Win a free Busse Mean Street!

Jerry Busse

ET. . . .Go home!!!!! Just kidding. I just finished reading a thread on the Shop Talk forum titled “What is INFI?” A forum member named E T had an analysis performed on an INFI blade and revealed the majority of INFI’s analysis to the world. Good Work!!! Call us at the shop (419) 923-6471 and I'll send you a free Busse Combat Hat.

E T’s analysis has revealed the following about INFI.

V .36
Cr 8.25
Fe 87.79
Co .95
Ni .74
MO 1.3

This analysis confirms what we have stated all along and that is that INFI is not simply a re-named, already existent steel. It is a steel that we developed and have manufactured exclusively for us by a small mill. We were trying to keep INFI’s analysis proprietary and luckily the analysis is only a small part of what constitutes INFI. The specific manufacturing process is protected, as is our process of Transversion Wave tempering.

I’d like to thank Mike Turber for keeping the analysis a secret for the past couple of years, eventhough, he was bribed constantly to reveal the secret. Mike’s reputation as a gentleman and man of honor speaks for itself. Tim Zowada, who was recently given the specific elemental analysis, has performed extensive tests and developed forging data for INFI. I don’t know how many of you are familiar with Tim but he is the most intense metallurgical freak on the planet. He makes the finest forged blades on earth and writes regularly for Knives Illustrated. If you enter into a conversation on metallurgy with Tim be sure to pack a lunch and a pair of sunglasses. This way you won’t get hungry and the sunglasses will help hide the confused look on your face. Tim has, likewise, kept quiet on INFI’s analysis and for that I am thankful.

Now, back to E T’s analysis. I confirm that your findings are correct. Of course there are some elements missing from your analysis such as carbon and a rather unique ingredient called ________________? Well, we’d might as well make this fun. . . Let’s see. . .what is the rather unique missing ingredient????? If you are the first person to name it you will receive a free Busse Mean Street ($217.00 value). I am allowing only one guess per forum member. Obviously, Mike, Tim, and E T are out of the running. This contest ends on Tuesday, 8/24/99 at 11:00 pm EST. I will announce the winner at that time. Good luck!

Jerry Busse
President
Busse Combat Knife Co.

Krypton.

How many tries do we get?
smile.gif

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Hi Jerry, it was good to meet you at the Blade Show, now when are you going to pony up a bar of INFI for me to try?

I am thinking that the analysis would find all the metals, so I am going to guess that it is a different element than a metal, but something that has been used to harden steels. Also, I think a BIG part of the secret is the way it is manufactured...OK, here is my WAG. Nitrogen introduced as a gas during manufacture.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

[This message has been edited by Rob Simonich (edited 21 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rob Simonich (edited 21 August 1999).]

manganese?

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

Um... silicon?

------------------
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-Derek Bok

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited 21 August 1999).]

Well if you add up that list, there's only .6% of anything left. I would have to guess Carbon takes up most of that. Whatever else has to be a trace metal. I can't believe silicon and Manganese are not present. But both of which would have to be present in much higher than allowed amounts. Not to mention easily detectable by analysis.

I guess titanium. (fingers crossed)

The only other possiblity is . . . oh well I'll keep my mouth shut.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 21 August 1999).]

Severely Uneducated Guess: Manganese

oops. Too slow.

------------------
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

[This message has been edited by dogman (edited 21 August 1999).]

Si.

------------------
Professor

Ever notice no other candy tastes quite like Pez? Oh yeah, and the BM Axis rules.

hey jerry
I am thinking that it would be the element that the busse basics lack. I don't remember what that is though...oh well
LUke

Blood, Sweat & Tears (not the group).

------------------
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Cubic Zirconia or Diamond

Niobium (Nb). Reguarding the acronym INFI. Niobium is a family V compound with a cubic, body centered lattice crystal structure. Remaining consistant with the crystal structure of V,Cr,Fe,Ni,and MO . And because of the crystal structure -yields high levels of strength and ductility. It is also very corrosion resistant making Niobium ideally suited for highly corrosive environments.

just a guess!
-Thanks

Back