INFI help Please

Hi All

First off this is such an amazing forum and I really want to thank everyone for all the great posts here. I have learned a lot about knives and I just enjoy reading peoples posts and thoughts.

My question is, I have a Busse basic 9 and basic 7.
I have seen where some people take the black finish off their busse knives and the real steel underneath looks great. My 7 inch also has a very rough paint finish and gets stuck pretty good sometimes while batoning or while cutting other things where friction is invloved.
My questions are
1. Whom is good at refinishing blades, and what is the cost of doing this?
2. I want to change the shape a bit so power tools would be involved does this weaken the heat treatment as the knife would heat up if power tools are involved.
3. How easy does the infi rust, a little? very fast?
4. I would also like to change the edge to a convex primay grind. Would that weaken the knife a little? A lot? I happen to like knives with this sort of edege.
5. Can I do this process myself, I am a building contractor and have way to many power tools and have grinded many types of structural steels on the job.
6. I also would rather not have a satin finish if that means grey powdercoating or anything else but plain old steal, that is why I asked about the rust factor.
Thanks again in advance for anyone's help, I apprecite it.
Mark

Hi Mark,

You have a Basic 7 and 9? You lucky person you! Great knives.

1. Ban springs to mind,no idea as to cost but search this forum* for his most excellent mods

2. If Ban (or any other professional) does it, no worries. If you do it yourself, go slow and keep dunking in cold water after each pass. You might void the warranty though.

3. Not easy at all. My satins are fine and I sweat alien-acid! I've had a few tiny rust spots once, that I removed with a scotchbrite pad.

4. I've done this to most of mine, as have a lot of others. Big improvement, No problems. Done it by hand and with a powerfile (like a 1/2" belt grinder)

5. Absolutely, but remember to keep things cool! The edge gets hot real quick so do a pass over the tool, then dunk in cold water.

6. Plain steel (satin or mirror) is fine. Don't worry about it unless you plan on leaving it in salt water.

* non-paying members can't use the forum's search, but you can do in google by putting site:bladeforums.com at the end of your search words.

Back