INFI & SR101 Weight Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this has ever been asked or discussed before, but I was pondering the question of the difference in weight, if any, between our beloved INFI or SR101?

I'm not talking about knife weights, just the weight of the steel itself. For example: if I had a slab of INFI that was 200mm x 50mm x 10mm, and a slab of SR101 with the exact same dimensions, would INFI = x, and SR101 = x.05? Or the other way around? Or no difference at all?

I'm curious to know because you see, it's these kind of things that keep me awake at night :D

the difference would be negligible. INFI has more chrome in it. Old INFI had Cobalt which is considerably denser, but new infi does not. So there would be a difference but it would be in the thousandths.

I agree, the difference in weight would not be able to be detected on a normal run-of-the-mill scale. Perhaps if larger volumes were compared you might see a difference in weight, but not at the volume of steel it takes to make a knife.

the difference would be negligible. INFI has more chrome in it. Old INFI had Cobalt which is considerably denser, but new infi does not. So there would be a difference but it would be in the thousandths.

Interesting, can you provided a link for more information about absence of cobalt in INFI?

The trouble, Cobalt, is you have over 12,000 posts. So any search for cobalt on here is going to turn up several thousand (assuming you post in other subforums as well). Can you give us FNG's a hint?

The trouble, Cobalt, is you have over 12,000 posts. So any search for cobalt on here is going to turn up several thousand (assuming you post in other subforums as well). Can you give us FNG's a hint?

well, you are no FNG yourself, lol.

20151011_091806.jpg

Think I found it. Or at least some info. Not as difficult as I thought it would be.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1322476-Nitrogen-in-INFI?highlight=no+cobalt

Will be interested in the difference between old INFI (my INFImandus) and new INFI (just got dinged for the TG-M). If someone had asked me what I thought made INFI tough after thinning my INFImandu, I would have guessed it had cobalt in it. It had that greasy feel on a stone (that's the only way I can describe it). I'll be interested to see how the new INFI feels during thinning.

Oops, it appears I was posting at the same time.
Yeah, not FNG to Bladeforums, but pretty new to hanging out in Busse so much.

I always was a late bloomer. :eek:

Your infimandu is new infi. Basically, old INFI died with the fussion series at best. I have not tested an ergo so not sure about that. So you can bet that anything post 2001 was not old infi.

Ah. Well, the. I won't be able to compare anything. I assume SWATmandus are new INFI too? I don't really know the time frame for runs like that. I do t think I could ever find them on Bussecollector, and I haven't been able to get on that site in a while, for some reason.

I have wondered the same thing. Wish I had two identical pieces of both steels.. at my company we have over 20 high accuracy scales. 3 of which are enclosed in glass because voice vibration an wind will disturb the reading. I'd love to test something like that...anyone have an answer?

Last edited:
I have read somewhere that Jerry said he will keep developing the ingredient and HT protocol of INFI. So we can assume that the newer INFI might be better than the older one.

I have read somewhere that Jerry said he will keep developing the ingredient and HT protocol of INFI. So we can assume that the newer INFI might be better than the older one.

I would not assume that. In fact I would bet money on the opposite being true.

I would not assume that. In fact I would bet money on the opposite being true.

So will you say that 15 years later with so much development on metallurgy knowledge and equipment but INFI is getting worse in performance than the post 2001 made one..??

I highly doubt about that... the HT protocol might even changed many times... and speak of the tweaked composition, In fact, cobalt and nitrogen are not that anything special or excessively expensive alloy at all...

Looking forward Jerry to chime in about this.

Last edited:
So will you say that 15 years later with so much development on metallurgy knowledge and equipment but INFI is getting worse in performance than the post 2001 made one..??

I highly doubt about that... the HT protocol might even changed many times... and speak of the tweaked composition, In fact, cobalt and nitrogen are not that anything special or excessively expensive alloy at all...

Looking forward Jerry to chime in about this.

Well since you know it all, and you obviously own both old and new, what else is there to talk about. You think you know everything and thus, you do.

Well since you know it all, and you obviously own both old and new, what else is there to talk about. You think you know everything and thus, you do.

I have never own old INFI before.

I just don't understand why Jerry would took a step backward on his signature steel.
If what you said is true the only reason I can imagine would be to save cost and better profit ... that which would be a bummer.

Regardless of who knows what there are actual machines (spectrometers) that can read the chemical composition of metal alloys. If needed and a sample was around (meaning any old infi knife), we (as in us as people, or even not we, just Jerry and crew) would be able to find the composition of old infi and have it replicated (as long as there are foundries making steel). Then it would all come down to the heat treating process as far as hardness. I'm guessing the change to infi was either because an ingredient became to expensive (nickel swung $5-$25 a pound while I worked in a foundry, moly was consistently expensive) or the new comp is actually more durable, corrosion resistant, bend/chip resistant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back