INFI To The Rescue!!!!! (Cool pic)

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Jerry Busse, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    A few nights ago, Jennifer and I were returning from Toledo (The Big City) down State Route 20. It was about 10:00pm and pitch dark. About 200 yds. in front of us a pretty bad accident occurred. A semi-truck full of grain had pulled out of one of the fields and was going about 10 mph when the Chrysler mini-van in front of us (going a bit over 70 mph.) slammed into the the rear of the truck. We were able to react quickly enough that we avoided becoming part of the accident and were able to offer some assistance to the injured man in the mini-van. Long story short, the front of the van was completely crushed, airbags were deployed, the guy was NOT wearing a seat belt and had crushed the steering wheel flat against the dashboard in spite of the airbags. Jennifer called 911 and stood in the middle of the highway with a large flashlight trying to stop three oncoming trucks form slamming into the now dark and impossible to see mini-van. I ran to the crushed up mini-van to check on the driver. The front quarter panel had collapsed into, and over the door making entry impossible.

INFI to the rescue!!!! I had a Satin Jack with me and was able chop and pry the crushed body panel back and then pry the van door open far enough to talk with the victim and assess the situation. By the time the paramedics arrived they had easy access to the victim. The victim was in pretty bad shape and had suffered massive internal injuries. He was ultimately life-flighted to Toledo. I have no idea whether he survived the accident or not. I tried calling the hospital but was unable to get any info on his condition due to the fact that I am not a family member.

He and his family are in our prayers,

Jerry and Jennifer

Here's a pic of the Leopard Camo Spotted Jack. . . .

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Busse

Aug 20, 1999
    Here's a close-up of the point. . . .if you look close enough you can see a bit of the blue paint from the mini-van.

Attached Files:

3. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Good for you Jerry!!! Glad you had some equipment with you!:D Hope the fellow is ok, makes me shiver every time I see twisted metal, its never a pretty site.
    :(

4. thatmguy

thatmguy

Mar 26, 2000
    All I can say, is wow....

Hope the guys is o.k.

5. TheButcher

TheButcher

Sep 1, 2003
    INFI- Never leave home without it! EVER!:eek:

6. Ian Allomes

Ian Allomes Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Let’s hope he’s OK, seat belts are compulsory over here. I remember how much I hated getting used to wearing them. But if they save a life, it’s all worth it.:)

7. Progunner

Progunner

Oct 22, 2001
    Very commendable efforts there Jerry. You and Jennifer are lucky the other trucks saw the flash light or you could have been part of the mess even though your car avoided it.

8. Glenn Jones

Glenn Jones

Feb 26, 2002
    Jerry you will have to excuse my ignorance for this post. Even though I've seen your knives always positively mentioned many times on bladeforums, for some reason I've not visited your site until today. I am taken by the look of the knife on this thread and its obvious toughness. I tried to look at your website to gain information but see that the website is being overhauled and is not available. I could do a search on bladeforums but I thought it easier to ask directly.

I have been lucky in being able to collect a large number of blades over the last few years. I live in a very humid climate and most of my blades are made of high carbon steel. Even though I enjoy maintaining these blades, my last five purchases have been fixed blade stainless. Four of these do double duty in the kitchen occasionally. I now love stainless steel knives. I have turned away from non-stainless steel knives at the moment. My biggest stainless knife has a 7 inch blade. I have been playing with the idea of a step up to something bigger that can be used as a camp/utility/chopper and at a pinch still be used for some kitchen duties. I have quite a few khukuries and they are tough, but not stainless, and sometimes a bit too heavy if they have to be carried too far.

From what I remember reading, your knives are as tough as they come and made of INFI steel. What exactly is INFI steel and how rust resistant is it compared to the stainless steels (eg VG10, 440C, S30V). Also could you tell me the weight, size and cost of the Satin Jack.

9. viking313

viking313

Apr 8, 2002
    Great job Jerry and Jennifer.....Glad to hear you guys avoided any collamity!Hope the fellows pulls through...and learns a lesson about seat belts and INFI carrying good samaritans!:D

10. gundy

gundy

Apr 6, 2001
    Well done Team Busse!

Jerry, if you ever do get the chance to see this guy (and providing he pulls through it God willing), you should present him with the knife as a lesson learnt. Always BUCKLE UP!

11. RokJok

RokJok

Oct 6, 2000
    -----------------
    Originally posted by Glenn Jones:
    What exactly is INFI steel and how rust resistant is it compared to the stainless steels (eg VG10, 440C, S30V).

-----------------

Glenn, Here's a couple sites with info and pics of Busse knives:
    http://www.badmojo.tv/
    http://www.zvis.com/knives/fixed/busse/busseall.shtml

Threads with info on INFI composition:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249204
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169760
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219381

(edited to add) Jerry & Jennifer, my heartiest respect for jumping into the fray and getting the job done. If I'm ever in a wreck, you and INFI are the rescue team I want to see coming my way when the dust settles.

12. idahoskunk

idahoskunk Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2002
    you would have been home by now if you would have had the MOAB with you!!
    good job, you acted like the hog you are

CLOVEN HOOF SALUTE TO YOU

OINK OINK OINK!!! :cool: :cool:

13. Fan of Steel

Fan of Steel

Sep 2, 2002
    Like I have been saying for a long time... When the chips are down..Satin Jack's got your back.

Best Wishes to the Stranger in Danger

14. Bravado

Bravado

Feb 14, 2002
    Geez can you imagine if a CBL truck had crashed!!!!:eek: :D

15. The Porcupine

The Porcupine

Apr 24, 2001
    Well done Jerry and Jennifer! Hope the guy makes it!

16. idahoskunk

idahoskunk Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2002
    my god man, don't let your wife find out you were with that gal:eek: :eek:

17. DirtDiver

DirtDiver

Sep 7, 2003
    INFI "Jaws of Life" :eek: :eek:

Good job man :)

18. Jerry Busse

Aug 20, 1999
    I'd still be there!!!!:eek: :eek: ;)

19. JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Sep 1, 2002
    Jack is one of my favorite Busse blades. Good to hear you put one to such good use.....Now you can lable it a "true" survival blade.

20. HDBeav

HDBeav Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Yup, fall in Ohio, wagons, trucks, combines and deer on the road everywhere! Motorcyclers beware! Glad you avoided being involved in the crash. Thanks for the photos and story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.