INFI updates

So with modern day metallurgy producing steels like 3V, Elmax, 20V, M390 etc. has there been any discussion or whispers about INFI changing composition at all? Do we know if Jerry tinkers with the formula at all?

There have been many threads over the years that started off much like yours starts today. Jerry's pledge is that if there is ever a better performing steel across the board, in all categories, than INFI, he'll switch. There have been metallurgical sample studies done on INFI over the years which have produced some discrepancies, possibly pointing to some changes in chemistry, and Jerry doesn't deny that there may have been changes. But we don't have anything confirmed officially by Busse. Two elements which INFI has tested positive for in the past, but apparently may not contain now, were small amounts of cobalt and of nitrogen.

Last edited:
There have been many threads over the years that started off much like yours starts today. Jerry's pledge is that if there is ever a better performing steel across the board in all categories than INFI, he'll switch. There have been metallurgical sample studies done on INFI over the years which have produced some discrepancies, possibly pointing to some changes in chemistry, and Jerry doesn't deny that there may have been changes. But we don't have anything confirmed officially by Busse. Two elements which INFI has tested positive for in the past, but apparently may not contain now, were small amounts of cobalt and of nitrogen.

That still bugs me that they changed the recipe, Everyone said it was better back then.
I’m really surprised Jerry hasn’t found another steel yet with all the amazing choices out there now.

There have been many threads over the years that started off much like yours starts today. Jerry's pledge is that if there is ever a better performing steel across the board in all categories than INFI, he'll switch. There have been metallurgical sample studies done on INFI over the years which have produced some discrepancies, possibly pointing to some changes in chemistry, and Jerry doesn't deny that there may have been changes. But we don't have anything confirmed officially by Busse. Two elements which INFI has tested positive for in the past, but apparently may not contain now, were small amounts of cobalt and of nitrogen.

Even today, I still wonder about this. Honestly would love to hear the Boss man spill some of the INFI secret-sauce beans and verify these suspicions...

Being a sentimental sap, I'm more interested in older INFI these days. Knowing that the older stuff has nitrogen is more motivation to stay on that trip.

I think nitrogen is the key that makes INFI perform well, repair easily, and resist corrosion the way it does...would be surprised if it really isn't part of the formula anymore.

Infi is good.
I've made my nfno scary sharp, and destroyed pile of wood last weekend.
It was running through newspaper like hot knife through soft butter.
Clean edge, nothing.
I run it on leather strop with some fine diamond stuff and was back to scary sharp with no time.
Today I received AD and ASH1. Both with original edge. Far from razor sharp. Strop and bum! my wife is so happy with me shaving hair form my forearm.

I love different steels. Have special place in my heart for s90v.. love BOS s30v and Vanax37 on shiro.. COS in Falknivens.
But when I grab busse I feel like a guy with hammer. I see nails everywhere.. if you know what I mean. You just want to challenge this knife. It's just like hard training. You'll suffer, there will be this sweet pain and recovery after with satisfaction the you've survived.
All I'm trying to say, that I prefer this freedom of abuse with just small need of maintenance after, not crying over tiny chip with hours on my wicked edge with diamonds to put new edge..

Maybe it's exaggerated, I'm not fanboy, it's just from some experience.

This thread is sparked by the fact that I heard INFI no longer contains nitrogen so I’m curious as to where were headed

This thread is sparked by the fact that I heard INFI no longer contains nitrogen so I’m curious as to where were headed

An analysis of INFI was published here in 2001, in which all the alloying ingredients were accurately identified, together with their percentages, except that they didn't add up to 100%--the total was 99.89%. Not sure if it was a spectrographic analysis or what the method was. Jerry responded that the analysis was correct, and that the missing .11% was nitrogen. (Note that's .11%--not 11%) Subsequent analyses of INFI have also listed the elements without mentioning nitrogen, which has led some to declare that INFI no longer contains nitrogen. Thing is, if it didn't show up in the first analysis published here--Jerry had to inform us on that--why should we think there's no nitrogen in current INFI just because it hasn't shown up in subsequent third-party analysis? It's a gas, obviously, and isn't detected by all means of analysis.

From a thread in September 2017, here’s an exchange in which Jerry came as close as I’ve seen to giving us something on the subject of whether INFI has changed:

I would ask why he got rid of the better Infi and gave us Modified Infi again.

Great question! Why would a knife company, whose reputation is built upon the legendary performance of its blades, get rid of something better? . . . They wouldn't and we didn't. Today's INFI is better than that of fifteen years ago. Our protocols are constantly evolving...

He doesn’t specifically say the chemistry changed, just “protocols”, which could mean heat treat and/or chemistry or ... who knows? (Other than Jerry;))

That still bugs me that they changed the recipe, Everyone said it was better back then.
....except Jerry.

EDIT...as I didn't read far enough, that comment quoted above from JB is what I was referring to from one of the last times we went around this dance floor.

Jerry is the dude. THE. DUDE.

Why would he risk his company's reputation of bombproof abuse shrugger-offers by making His product less so? Why change things if it's not for the better?

It just seems like bad business to me.

Love the part about the nitrogen.

Hey, you need a good steel, a good heat treat, and a REAL cryo treatment, not some 100 below junk. Do that right and you've got a knife.

Jerry does it right.

After a few hours, I do know the exact recipe for INFI. I did have to do some hacking into a few places, but I got it. It appears less inclusions and a tighter grain structure, closer to a Powered steel. very interesting the conversations back and forth from Jerry and the smelter.

LOL kidding: That would be illegal and I in no way have ever hacked anything. :)

Back