INFI vs. MODIFIED INFI (Newbie Question)

SALTY

Gold Member
Please don't send me packin' with a "go search" reply. I am a newbie on the Busse scene and do not yet own one; but I think I have been bitten by the bug.

What's the deal between INFI and MODIFIED INFI. I already have a bunch of hunting knives and camping knives and "survival" knives. I have enough Chris Reeve's One Piece knives to fill my needs but really have gotten the urge for something different ... a Busse. So please don't send me to search land and fill me in on the deal with INFI.

I'll probably want a hunting,(field dressing and skining) knife and maybe a camping/survival knife.

I am interested in corrosion resistance (Chris Reeves uses A2), though I have a Fallkniven A-1 as well.

I got the bug, I think I need a Busse, even though I am not sure that I can pronounce it.

(Are we ever getting spell-check for this thing or are we expected to be literate on our own?)
[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 11-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 11-13-2000).]

:
Well Nimrod there is a lot of info in the search file.
Not sure what you wanna know about the INFI vs M-INFI but the best way I can explain is that the M-INFI has a bit less cobalt.
The INFI stays sharp forever and a day and the M-INFI just stays sharp forever.
smile.gif

I have a Basic #9 and an E-BM and can't tell a lot of difference between the two steels.

You would have several choices, but I think a Natural Outlaw and a Basic #9 would fill the jobs you want them to do.
Some of the other guys with more Busse's will no doubt offer up their picks a little later.

Do check the search feature though as there's a lot of good info there that you may not get with this post.
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Yvsa, thanks for the reply.

How is CS/Warranty with Busse?

:
Nimrod, wasn't sure what you meant there for a minute then it dawned on me.
smile.gif

The Warranty is a no BS return policy. Somethings wrong, They Will Make it Right!!!
Doubt that you will find anything wrong though. Busse's quality control is among the best I've seen bar none!!

CS- Depends on how busy they
are.
You can e-mail with a problem and someone will get back to you sooner or later.
If you keep e-mailing every couple of days or so someone will get back to you sooner.
Keeping it polite always
helps.
smile.gif

Bear in mind that Busse is still very much a young company with government contracts and the like and are still humpin their butts to get out enough product to meet the over whelming demand from the civilian factor.
Taking those things into consideration the CS is
good.
And in my opinion will improve greatly as time passes and perhaps more staff is added.
You may very well find yourself dealing with Jerry himself.

On another note:
I have an E-BM that I absolutely love. However the handles were a bit squarish and large for my hands.
I used a coarse wood rasp and rounded the corners off and done some shapeing on the handle to make it fit me nicely. I left the coarse finish from the rasp on the micarta to aid in keeping the very non-slip finish the knives have on thier handles.
I don't care how it looks within reason, but I do care how comfortable and usable a tool is. And it doesn't look bad to me or others that's seen it.

Making the handles fit yourslf doesn't void the warranty from what I've read. And I told you all of this so that you can make the knife fit yourself if needed.

Now if it's not going to be a keeper I would advise against any modifications.

Too many times people buy a damned good knife like a Busse and are afriad to modify something that will make it more comfortable for them. Then they turn around and sell it not ever knowing just how good the tool ever was.

I als have a Basic #9 that kicks A$$ as well.
I am a very satisfied customer and perhaps one day will get one of Busse's smaller knives if they ever bring out something like the Mean Street again.
smile.gif

Sorry to be so long.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Back