INFI Vs. Modified INFI???

Can anyone tell me the differences in the INFI Vs. Modified INFI steel found in the Busse Basic series. Is the modified better or worse and why? Comparisons?

If it is worse, is the modified INFI better than a Non-INFI steel ie, ATS34, AUS8, D2 etc.?

Thanx,
ACK

That is a question that had been asked often but never answered. As I understand it, something is changed to make the steel easier to machine but the end result is that it hold's an edge slightly less than that of the original.

If I had to guess, I'd say they lowered the Vanadium content.

I'm not a fan of cryo-heat treats myself. But I think as with any knife, the heat treat is as important as the steel itself. So if Busse is investing a lot of time into their HT, it would naturally pay off.

As far as comparing with other steels, I don't think INFI is the ultimate. Find someone who is a master with 52100, and I'd bet it would out perform any hightech steel blade.

This should be a FAQ on Busse's site. Busse Combat has stated that mod-INFI has 25% less performance than INFI in regards to knife related aspects. Based on the claims made about INFI, this would still put mod-INFI well above other steels.

-Cliff

Hmm, the 25% is interesting, given that the recent tests Jerry Busse has done of a #9 have outperformed even the Battle Mistress on 1" rope. The #9 most recently did over 2700 and still was razor sharp according to Dave at Busse. I wonder where a BM falls?

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 23 September 1999).]

This difference could be because of the new edge Busse Combat has been putting on their blades. I don't think Busse Combat is trying to state that the mod-INFI is actually better than regular INFI. Note in regard to the rope cutting numbers, Jerry does not actually slice the rope. The blade is just pressed down straight through it. This is much less stressful than slicing so you can get higher numbers.

As for slicing hemp rope, I don't have piles of it on hand so I can't say just how great 2700 cuts is, but I know that you can slice/chop an awful lot of soft wood before dulling a blade and that is just with a regular stainless steel like VG-10. For example I did a cutting comparison of the S1 before and after 400 chops into pine and could see not a difference. You can get much harder wood than pine though and the denser grades can be very hard on blades. I would be curious to know which offer similar levels of difficulty as hemp rope cutting.

-Cliff

I think your right about the wood, Cliff.
I'd noticed that Jerry was pressing the knife through, but wouldn't contact with the board under the rope negate the lesser wear of pressing through vs slicing through? Hmmm...I think maybe I've started to split hairs, which is usually an indication of the need for sleep.

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

No matter what way you cut the rope you are eventually going to see edge contact with whatever is underneath it. I an not saying that 2700 cuts is not an indication of strong performance, just that one of the reasons is probably just the technique.

-Cliff

I still have the board here that we used to make those 2,771 cuts. I keep it for some reason but now I am glad I did. The cool thing to remember is that while we were cutting the rope we were also making HUGE cuts in the board. In fact we had to turn the board over. This means that not only did we cut through 2,771 peices of hemp rope but we also chopped the hell out of that board.

During the test I removed the blade from Jerry to look at the edge. It appeared to be that we were not removing any of the edge but we may in fact be polishing it! Seriously folks even though we cut the hell out of the board the knife stayed sharp, and razor sharp just past 2,000 cuts.

I am not sure what this prooves but it is damn impressive.

My head to head test will be done very soon. I really want as many people here as possible when I do this test so there will be no question as to the results. Of course someone will not like the results but that is tough ****.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

INFI does have high edge holding, I have done some initial work running it and modified INFI against my CPM-10V blade a few times. It compares well, under CPM-10V but not outdone as clearly as many steels are. Once I get some more complete work done including a couple of other blades for reference I'll post up a full description.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 28 September 1999).]

Yeah, bring on the head to head tests!

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

I got some damage today chopping some black birch wood with my Basic Model 7. Some edge deformation on the belly and near the point. Not bad but enough to notice. This Busse is modified INFI. The knife still works great but to tell you the truth I was surprised to see the dings since the knife passed with flying colors on my initial tests.

Still, I like the knife and I guess I don't have to worry about scratching it up anymore. I still recommend it since I have used this knife harder than any knife I have ever owned and will continue to do so since I do have confidence in the knife....but I wasn't abusing it....just chopping some wood.

Regards.

------------------
~Greg~

I think the difference between M-INFI and INFI is cobolt. I don't think the M-INFI has it and does not wear as well.
Hey, Mike I think I can hear a certain maker crying already.
wink.gif

We will see. I had another manufacturer tell me yesterday that I sound like a billboard for Busse. I guess I do. The one thing I want to make clear and was made clear to Lynn and Jerry is that the results of the test "Good and/or Bad" will be posted.

My the best knife win.

I have already tested some of the knives but will save the results for later. I really wish some people would show up for rest the test!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Any comments on rust/corrosion resistance? Comparable to 440A, 1095, or somewhere in between?

I wasn't really thinking of CS> Btw will there be any tea served at the test?
smile.gif

Back