INFI what does it mean?

Does anyone know what INFI actually stands for? Is it something that just sounded good?

Regards,

Tom Carey

If I told well then I would have to ....

Actually until Jerry gives the go ahead even the intitials could give away part of the secret behind INFI. So that should give some food for thought. Happy munching
wink.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

This is more of a "shot-in-the-dark" answer. The back of the handle on the limited edition Battle Mistress has "INFI" stamped(?) on it along with the figure eight symbol for infinity. Maybe it's short for that word.

-Greg

Just making wild conjectures here.

Sounds like Mike is suggesting "INFI" is an initial for something. What could it be? Perhaps a clue to the chemical composition. F could be iron (Fe), N could be nickle (Ni). Still the puzzle isn't complete. what could IN be? Indium? That would be weird -- and outrageously expensive.

Bill is right
smile.gif

Actually I would like to keep this thread going and email it to Jerry. Then maybe he could come in a clear it up.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Bill is right
smile.gif

Actually I would like to keep this thread going and email it to Jerry. Then maybe he could come in a clear it up.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

I love Bill's answer!
wink.gif
Although I am willing to bet that each of those letters represent someting.
biggrin.gif
I suspect that tallwingedgoat may be on the right track. I think the Infinity theory is sort of a ruse and a happy coincidence. Which works out great from a marketing stand point. Could be a reference to something other than what is in the Actual steel? What if at least one of the I's stands for inert? Hmmmmm

Regards,

Tom Carey

Although expensive, I have a hunch the In does stand for Indium which might have been added in trace amounts for authentication purposes of INFI steel during an assay.
The F and i is open to me, as obviously Fe is iron and anything else fitting i on the periodic table like Iodine etc,doesn't look plausible,so maybe the fi just completes the short tag for infinity, if that universal symbol is listed on one of his blades. Hopefully, we'll find out eventually sometime soon if Jerry can get a lick of time away from those grinders and order backlog. I am dying to know. I also expect to see some molybdenum,vanadium,chromium,nickel,tungsten,and maybe cobalt thrown in .
Cobalt(the member) and Rj Martin. Care to venture a guess before INFI's official metallurgical composition is released?

Stay safe and all the best , Phil <-------<

INFI?? Well, there are so many possibilities that it would be nearly impossible to determine. You have metal abreviations, process abreviations metallurgy abreviations, phase diagram abreviations etc. I'll throw out a guess, which I'm sure is way off, and I definitely do not know what this stuff is made of.

Intermetallic Nickel Ferrite Isomorphous.

or I'm N-ot F-reaken I-nsane

but who really knows.

I've never heard of Indium used in knives before. The stuff used to be one of the rarest elements around. Up until 1924, the world supply of Indium in isolated form was about one gram!

Here's a list of it's uses according to the Univesity of Sheffield:

1.used in making bearing alloys, germanium
transistors, rectifiers, thermistors, and
photoconductors

2. it can be plated onto metal and evaporated onto glass, forming a mirror as good as those made with silver, but with more resistance to atmospheric corrosion
photocells

3.used to make low-melting alloys, alloyed with gallium

4.indium is used in solders

I tend to go with "infinity."

"To Infinity and Beyond ..." from Busse Lightyear. That makes sense.
smile.gif

Cheers,
Dew.

Actually, if the initials can give away part of what the steel is, per Mike, then infinity is only just an afterthought and not the real meaning.

Inter Net Forumites Impatient?

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

[This message has been edited by Ken Cook (edited 21 March 1999).]

Well I just recieved an email that stated the answer was given on rec.knives a few years back hmmm. I think maybe INFI stands for a process thing and may also stand for a few of the elements that are in the material. Maybe it is just all process. hmmmmmmm

Regards,

Tom Carey

Re

Turns out that my "shot in the dark" wasn't that far off the mark. Here's the answer from Andy Prisco of Busse Combat Knives (and officially conveyed to him by Jerry himself):
Greg,

...got the OK from Busse. The name INFI speaks to the seemingly "infinite" edge holding, wear resistance, and strength properties of the steel.

-Greg

I doubt Jerry is a master at prestidigitation. Smoke and mirrors is not his style. I have met many people in this industry and very few rank on my list of legitimate, true gentlemen who are not only masters of their art but are also poster children for the art of integrity. Yes integrity is an art. It is learned, mastered and best of all shared. Jerry is such a man and his steel is every bit what he claims.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Tom, I assume that if you heard of what it was, you would tell us, since it was in rec.knives, an open forum. Thus, my assumption is that you are still in the dark as the rest of us.

grnamin, I think your shot in the dark is still a shot in the dark. Quoting Mike Turber, "Even the initials could give away part of the secret", means that your guess may be a sideline, distraction or goose chase, so we are all still in the dark, except for Mike. Were did Mike say he lived???hehe

Back