Info on Keen Kutter?

Keen Kutter is a good brand. As I am sure you have figured out by now, the first axe with just the Keen Kutter name on it is not as old as the ones with the EC Simmons name on them. When Shapleighs bought them out, they used a similar logo, to continue to try and capitalize on the good name already made by EC Simmons. They then had troubles of their own, and the company went out in the late 1960s I believe. Still though, Keen Kutter is a much sought after name. The first axe though, with no other names on it, doesnt have the value of the second one with the triangle logo. So it is hard to say who or when yours was made. There were many imitations on Keen Kutter knives, so you need to watch on similar products like axes and hatchets. The second one I would shine up and put away somewhere, and use the first one. Just an opinion.

Keen Kutter is a good brand. As I am sure you have figured out by now, the first axe with just the Keen Kutter name on it is not as old as the ones with the EC Simmons name on them. When Shapleighs bought them out, they used a similar logo, to continue to try and capitalize on the good name already made by EC Simmons. They then had troubles of their own, and the company went out in the late 1960s I believe. Still though, Keen Kutter is a much sought after name. The first axe though, with no other names on it, doesnt have the value of the second one with the triangle logo. So it is hard to say who or when yours was made. There were many imitations on Keen Kutter knives, so you need to watch on similar products like axes and hatchets. The second one I would shine up and put away somewhere, and use the first one. Just an opinion.

OK Operator 1975, come clean. You have a couple detailed posts on these vintage pieces. How did you come by this knowledge?

A big thanks for your insight!

Yeah, I figured the triangular branded one was definitely older just due to the condition, F&F and what I've found out reading around... the quality seems pretty similar on both though - the heads seem to be very similar in design/profile and the bits seem to be about the same hardness, though the E.C. Simmons one is hardened further back on the bit (2.5" vs 2") for what that's worth (which is nil IMO as I don't see myself using it hard enough to have to ever sharpen it back that much during my lifetime). All in all, if the newer one is an imitation, it's still dang well-made axe head IMO.

Personally, I'm not much of a collector and regardless, I've already driven the old handle out and began sharpening the E.C. Simmons one. I bought it because I had a hunch it was going to be of high quality quality, it looked to be in great shape, and was a very reasonable $30shipped. Just because it might be collectiblel, doesn't mean it's not going to get used :thumbup:

That all said, I'm thinking a curved 32" for the Keen Kutter and a straight 32" for the EC Simmons - thoughts?

Last edited:
OK Operator 1975, come clean. You have a couple detailed posts on these vintage pieces. How did you come by this knowledge?

HaHa! I am an axe/hatchet/chainsaw collector. I have put in some time on research. EC Simmons with the Keen Kutter name is one of the more sought after names, mostly due to their knives, but they made all sorts of products. Simmons was one of the first people to say to himself - if I owned the company which made the knives and axes, I could probably make more money - so thats what he did, he acquired the Walden Knife Co sometime in the late 1890s if I remember right. This way he had the maker and the seller - while maintaining quality control also. The Keen Kutter was one of the better brands, but they had all kinds of brands, one which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread, Black Jack.

As far as the handles question in the other reply, I like curved handles myself on heads like that. I usually go straight handles on the larger hewing style heads for more stability. But technically if the handle has good grain on it, you cant go wrong in my opinion.

HaHa! I am an axe/hatchet/chainsaw collector. I have put in some time on research. EC Simmons with the Keen Kutter name is one of the more sought after names, mostly due to their knives, but they made all sorts of products. Simmons was one of the first people to say to himself - if I owned the company which made the knives and axes, I could probably make more money - so thats what he did, he acquired the Walden Knife Co sometime in the late 1890s if I remember right. This way he had the maker and the seller - while maintaining quality control also. The Keen Kutter was one of the better brands, but they had all kinds of brands, one which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread, Black Jack.

As far as the handles question in the other reply, I like curved handles myself on heads like that. I usually go straight handles on the larger hewing style heads for more stability. But technically if the handle has good grain on it, you cant go wrong in my opinion.

Well I certainly hope you stick around! It's great to have someone of your calibre around and there are plenty of people - like myself - who are willing to learn!

The reason I brought up the question regarding handles is because, as I'm sure is the case for a number of people, I've really only had experience with curved ones (as far as felling/limbing single bit axes are concerned)... I figured that since these heads are so identical in weight and design, hanging them with different handles would give me a good idea of the pros/cons of each with little else factoring in. And I'm sure a couple people around here are curious about it as well :)

Well I certainly hope you stick around! It's great to have someone of your calibre around and there are plenty of people - like myself - who are willing to learn!

The reason I brought up the question regarding handles is because, as I'm sure is the case for a number of people, I've really only had experience with curved ones (as far as felling/limbing single bit axes are concerned)... I figured that since these heads are so identical in weight and design, hanging them with different handles would give me a good idea of the pros/cons of each with little else factoring in. And I'm sure a couple people around here are curious about it as well :)

I myself am more of a curved handle guy just because to me they look better, more old school if you will. However, I think that you can get a better weight/swing/balance ratio with the straight handles. So really it is a matter of personal preference. I know on a 3-4 lb single bit, you put a nice curved handle on that baby, and man that makes me want to go chop a cord of wood. I would say though do what fits you and your needs. If it is for work, then do what feels best. If it is for display only, then whatever fits your fancy. Just make sure if it is a curved handle, the bottom is cut correctly. I have been seeing a lot of handles that arent lately, and Im not sure why.

Thanks! Not sure if it helps.

We are happy to view photos of your stuff! I'm one of the guys who just recently started collecting and refurbishing these. eager to learn!

Operator1975 have you ever seen one like this? I picked a barn in Bowling Green Kentucky last week and picked this up as well as a bunch of Belknap Bluegrass tools and other old farm implements.
IMG_1241.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back