Info on lefthanders?

My FIL is a lefty and having trouble finding a left handed folder.He has used the spyderco and likes the design.
Any idea where I can find a combat type folder for everyday carry for a lefty? :confused:

Any BenchMade Axis lock or Spyderco Compression lock folder is a natural lefty IMO.

The BM can swing both ways but the Spydie is probably actually a little more comfortable for south paws all around. I know I can sure release the lock easier left handed than right on them anyway.

What he said and if you are willing to spend around $300, Microtech makes the double action Ultratech and Makora.

Cold Steel makes a few ambidextrous folders (like the Recon 1) suitable for southpaws, as does SOG (for instance the Flash I & II, Trident).

Go with the benchmade Axis locks. They are going to be your best bet and they will be affordable.

Most Spyderco lockbacks can be configured with the clip on either side. Since you know he likes them why not get him one? You can't go wrong with a Delica, Endura, or Native.

--Bob Q

bquinlan said:
Most Spyderco lockbacks can be configured with the clip on either side. Since you know he likes them why not get him one? You can't go wrong with a Delica, Endura, or Native.

--Bob Q
Thats the plan since he lost his spydrco police model.
Thanks for the help guys! :thumbup:

Spyderco Manix is lefty friendly. Axis locks are a good bet too.

Make sure the clip is reversible - that's the key. On the Manix the clip can be relocated to any of the four positions (lefty, righty tip-up, tip-down). I can't remember if my Griptilian 551 is the same, but I think it is.

Make sure you pick up a left handed sharpener also. Spyderco makes a leftie Sharpmaker but in limited quantities. You may need to call around a bit because many knife shops don't even know it exists. :D

Another "southpaw" voice in the mix, from use I can tell these are all "leftie: friendly.

Benchmade AXIS lock folders
Buck SBMF folder
Ka-Bar Dozier folders (cheap as heck to!)

Some knives are more lefty than others. IMHO there are three tasks to using a knife: Drawing, Opening, Closing.
For Drawing, make sure the clip is reverseable for a left front pocket carry.
For Opening, make sure the opening help (stud, disc, hole, kick, etc) is available on the other side (reverseable is ok too).
For Closing, look at the lock. I have a few righty liner locks, and while I CAN close them, it's easier to close a proper lefty liner lock. Benchmade AXIS is great, and Lockbacks are poor but ok. Basicly, I like a lock I can use to close the knife one handed without switching my grip on the handle.

I like the Benchmade AXIS locks. Specificly, the Griptilian series would work well, and is one of the best AXIS lock values in the Benchmade line. My favorite Benchmade is the 940.

Hope this helps,
Overlord in Colorado

A Spyderco Manix or Chinook II will more than make up for the Police Model. Other good picks are the Yojimbo and the stainless-handled ATR. All are around the $100 mark at select online retailers.

Back