How To Info on light or dark Damascus blades.

I've seen some Damascus knives that have a good mix of light and dark coloring and the some with the majority of the blade being dark. I'm new at this and I thought the dark areas where the softer steel and the light areas the stronger steel. I've had a Boker switch blade for years and really like it and went to check on a Boker Damascus folder and the blade seemed more dark than light -- and a bit pricy for me. Is the dark etched dark metal the stronger part of the blade?

Thanks,
Boomer

It's not so much about hardness, but rather the nickel or chromium content of the alloys being used. The higher carbon steel will darken more readily (less nickel) when etched, whereas the alloy with more nickel or chromium will not.

It's not so much about hardness, but rather the nickel or chromium content of the alloys being used. The higher carbon steel will darken more readily (less nickel) when etched, whereas the alloy with more nickel or chromium will not.
which would be the stronger blade? Would the one with the higher carbon steel hold an edge better?

which would be the stronger blade? Would the one with the higher carbon steel hold an edge better?

All pattern welded damascus is a layered mixture of both higher carbon and lower carbon steel - that is what creates the pattern when etched.

Edge retention is a combination of the specific steel alloys being used, and the quality of the heat treatment. You would need to be more specific with what "higher carbon steel" is being used. Typical steels used in damascus are 1095 and 15N20, but there are many other combinations.

Last edited:
Back