Info on model 7-5

Discussion in 'The Randall Made Knives Collector's Forum' started by RickW, Oct 27, 2019.

1. RickW

RickW Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I recently acquired a Randall model 7-5 with a 5" blade and the original sheath. It is missing the sharpening stone.
    The stacked leather handle has been gnawed by some critter and is badly damaged.
    Here are the pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My first question is: When was this made? I'd like to know what time period this is from.
    The second question is: Should I replace the handle? I looked on the Randall Made Knives website, hoping to send it back to them for a new handle. However, their website stated that they die not replace leather handles. So, should I replace the handle, and if so, does anyone have a recommendation of where to get it done?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rick W

2. clk

clk

Sep 29, 2006
    Rick
    My guess is the knife is from the late 50’s to the early 60’s. I base my guess on the spacers and the sheath.
    About the handle, I would contact James Behring, Missoula, Montana. They make superb knives and rehandle knives as well.

Melvin-Purvis likes this.
  3. RickW

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!
    Rick W

4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    It’s a nice knife. What’s the back story? It must have been left a a cabin or someplace. Surprised the blade is so nice. Be sure to post after pictures with the new handle.

5. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    Do you have a photo of the logo side of the blade?

Agree with using James for the repair; send the sheath too, so he can attempt to match the look of the repair to it.

6. RickW

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding.
    Here are a couple of pictures of the mark side of the knife:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry, I don't know thw story of how the knife got so chewed up. I suspect that it got left in a hunting cabin over the winter, and the rodents found it. But I don't know.
    Thanks,
    Rick

eveled likes this.
  7. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    Rick,

OK, it's a stock, no option knife, not particularly valuable. Send it to James Behring, along with the sheath. Those guys work wonders. Good luck, and please post photos once refurbished.

sw

8. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    That’s a awesome knife!! Lol.