Inkosi sharpening

Hi everybody,

Could you let me know what is your sharpening system? I have an Inkosi that i need to reprofile. Many other knives with M4, S90v, Elmax etc..

The only systems i got is a Worsharp gided system and a Sharpmaker. Am i better to buy something else? Like KME or Edge pro? Or stick with what i have?

Thanks for your inputs!

So to clarify, have you already used your current equipment to sharpen/reprofile all those other knives with their various steels?

If yes, and you’re happy with the results, stay the course.

To sharpen, yes. But not to reprofile. And i am looking for a more precise system anyway. I don't know wich one.. At the value of our Can $ right now, i try to buy the right thing.... Thanks

Personally, I'd go for a Wicked Edge 130 or better and be done. With the 130 and up, you get the cam lock blade vise. No adjusting needed for FFG blades. Not cheap but for re-profiling, it's probably the best guided sharpener out there, IMHO. So easy to lock everything down and you don't have to flip the knife back and forth constantly. Lock it in and you're set until you're done sharpening. The non cam lock vise models are great as well. The cam lock just makes setting the blade in the vise so much easier.

Personally, I'd go for a Wicked Edge 130 or better and be done. With the 130 and up, you get the cam lock blade vise. No adjusting needed for FFG blades. Not cheap but for re-profiling, it's probably the best guided sharpener out there, IMHO. So easy to lock everything down and you don't have to flip the knife back and forth constantly. Lock it in and you're set until you're done sharpening. The non cam lock vise models are great as well. The cam lock just makes setting the blade in the vise so much easier.
But, its $800 can for the kit wit

Agree 1000% on WE130. I started with no cam vise and upgraded - it was a revelation.

Add a pair of strops, and you will be set.

I use an edge pro. Takes more practice and skill than something like a WE and not as consistent results, but for the price it's a great system. Just did my large Inkosi a couple weeks ago to 18 DPS and it came out great.

A
I use an edge pro. Takes more practice and skill than something like a WE and not as consistent results, but for the price it's a great system. Just did my large Inkosi a couple weeks ago to 18 DPS and it came out great.
Are you using the new diamonds matrix Stones? Also, there is a new 3 contacts holder. Thanks

A

Are you using the new diamonds matrix Stones? Also, there is a new 3 contacts holder. Thanks
I have an Edge Pro Apex Model 4 and just what came in that kit plus the glass platform. Done probably 50-60 knives and the original stones and parts have been holding up fine with occasional flattening maintenance of the stones. Haven't really looked into the additional add-ons or stones. Thanks

Diamond stones are fairly inexpensive and can sharpen all of the above with some practice. I switched over from a system to free hand and have been very happy.

Ah, yeah CAN price hurts a bit. $575 USD. Definitely not a cheap option but worth the $$$ IMO.

If you can freehand, it;s much cheap but to reset bevels to a consistent angle is not easily done. You can cut a lot of steel but maintaining the edge for a re-bevel requires some skill. I freehand 90% of the time but when I need to re-work or re-do a bevel, I use the Wicked Edge. Just way precise and easier.

Diamond stones are fairly inexpensive and can sharpen all of the above with some practice. I switched over from a system to free hand and have been very happy.
This is what i have, the Worsharp guided system. I just wanna make sure that i am able to be steady enough to reprofile an Inkosi with a very convex from the factory....

I recommend looking at the KME Deluxe Kit. Diamond stones and everything you need for reprofiling and getting a refined edge. For an extra $50 or so (usd) you can add 6 & 3 micron lapping films for a near-mirror polish (or get the full lapping set if you want to go crazy).

I sharpened several knives on a friend’s EdgePro Apex and wasn’t a fan. I didn’t like switching the blade around & switching hands. I’m sure I could’ve become proficient at it with time (and people get great results with it), but it just wasn’t for me.

The WE was too expensive and has kind of a big footprint. I’ve never heard of anyone being dissatisfied though.

Whatever you get, gain proficiency before reprofling your CRK beauties.

This is what i have, the Worsharp guided system. I just wanna make sure that i am able to be steady enough to reprofile an Inkosi with a very convex from the factory....

There's going to be a learning curve on that or a system. I moved away from the Worksharp Guided System because I like a larger stone. I had a Wicked Edge and it took some getting used to.

If you're on a budget the KME is probably the way to go.

There's going to be a learning curve on that or a system. I moved away from the Worksharp Guided System because I like a larger stone. I had a Wicked Edge and it took some getting used to.

If you're on a budget the KME is probably the way to go.
So, now, you are sharpening your CRK free hand?

I started out with the spyderco sharpmaker. It does get my knives sharp but for reprofilling is a real pain. In 2014 I then upgraded to the wicked edge that came with the 100/200, 400/600 and 800/1000 diamond stones. In time I added the 1200/1600 ceramics and 5/3.5 and 1/0.5 leather strops. I have also got a digital angle cube that imo the most useful accessory for this system. The scales on the earlier sytem vise do differ as the vise is fixed on one side, and I believe the latest gen 3 system centers automatically. For me it was money well spent for keeping my knives at their optimum condition. The system is also easy to maintain and are quality built that reflects its price. There are many other sharpening systems out there but for me wicked edge is the right one for me. The is also a forum on wicked edge website where we can get guidance on what you want to achieve. There are also profile data (setup settings) for many popular knives for you to follow if you wish.

The Wicked edge seems to be the way to go. But Man! Here in Canada, almost $1000....

The Wicked edge seems to be the way to go. But Man! Here in Canada, almost $1000....

Get a Lansky with the diamond stones, and buy a couple of the finer ceramic or AL/Ox stones, and save yourself enough money to buy a couple of really nice knives. It will reprofile your edges nicely, but I suggest trying it out on a couple of less expensive user knives till you get the hang of it.

Unless you plan to make money sharpening other people's knives, I think the fancier systems are hard to justify.

Back