Input needed on the one piece line....

Well I'm hopeless....I bought my first Chris Reeve knife yesterday....a Large Sebenza...and today I'm looking for my second.

I am a backpacker and I want one of his one piece knives to take with me.

Could I get some suggestions on which model might best suit my needs?

I'm strongly considering the Sable IV and the Mk VI.

Any thoughts on these?

I would recommend the Sable IV myself if you are looking for a good all around fixed blade. It might be a bit larger than what is really required, but I carry mine every day with me. I work in an outdoor environment where I am in the woods a lot, and it does a great job. If you do get one, I recommend a Blackhawk sheath for it. They have an excellent kydex lined cordura model that fits the Sable wonderfully with a few minor modifications.

Roj,

I have a Mountaineer 2. I like the clip point and the single guard. This is a great knife for trail use and it is just under the 5 1/2 inch Texas Limit.

Any of the 4" or 5.5" will do you a great job.

Personally, hiking with a backpack and trying to keep the weight down- I like the Mountaineer 4". It is plenty of knife for most tasks, except chopping.

I also like the Sable very much. A great all-purpose knife!

Daniel

Ah, the One Piece dilemma!

The Sable IV is, IMO, one of the most useful knives going. It is not tactical and may not be the combat knife that some of the others are, but it is a great outdoors, food prep, light chopping (wacking), gutting, skinning, slicing, skewering general outdoorsman's knife.

I carry the Shadow IV more than the sable only by personal choice and because I'm carrying another task dedicated knife with me generally.

I also like the 4 inch knives for backpacking and keeping weight down even though they are of minimal use for chopping and have handles too small and short for my tastes.

With all of that said, (what did I really say?) I would get the Sable IV and never look back. If you are like me, food prep, very light chopping (limb wacking) and slicing are the most often prsented outdoor knife chores.

Now I will tell you that a Project 1 on your pack, yet within reach, and a 4 inch on your person is not such a shabby arrangement either.

Ah, the One Piece dilemma!

I own and use the Mk VI. I have had it for about 3 years and find that it is most useful for any type of camp chore. I chose this knife over the Sable due to the double guard. I like the added safety when I put it to hard use.

------------------
Ken
firedept_md_wht.gif
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

I have the Mtn.I and like it because of the weight.I still donot know why you need a big knife for backpacking.I have carried a spyderco cylipso lightweight and it did fine.

------------------
Ray

Roj,

I just picked up a Sable IV and let me tell you they are SWEET!!. You can't go wrong with this knife.
I have had the Project I(awesome blade) the Shadow IV(getting another) and the Shadow III. My choice for all around general purpose goes to the Sable IV.

Good luck,

Roy

I've got a Shadow III and realy like it. Workmanship is flawless. If you get one, you can buy direct from CRK and get one with the snap sheath instead of the pancake sheath. I like the snap as it keeps everying in place.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I use a Shadow IV, but am planning to get the III this year for a smaller campknife.

CRK = Quality for sure...

Back