"Inside a ZT Limited Run" from Thomas

http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/blog/inside-a-zt-limited-run

Our Director of Sales and Marketing, Thomas Welk, takes you inside ZT for special insight on our Limited Edition knives.

Both of our brands, Zero Tolerance Knives and Kershaw Knives, have "boutique" or limited edition runs that show up on occasion. While these limited edition knives are not our core business, we do enjoy creating them for our valued customers.

We always produce these knives to be used. When it comes to specifications, quality, and technology, they incorporate the latest and greatest our industry has to offer. We don't build these knives as an investment, but we do understand that some of our past and present limited runs are quite popular, and have a strong secondary presence in the marketplace. Yet it does pain us to think of any of these knives as "safe queens," that is, knives that are kept for their value rather than their utility.

When we do these special runs, we may put out a target number of knives we hope to produce. This is never an exact number, but an estimate that assists our Sales Dept. when selling to our dealer base. The target number is just that, a target. In fact, of all the boutique runs we have produced, we have never hit the target number of our estimated production run exactly.

Production considerations play a large role in how many of any specific product are actually manufactured. There can be "fall out," complications, and some knives in the run can even be scrapped entirely if the knife is particularly challenging to make. In these cases, the number of knives produced can fall short of the intended target. The opposite is also true. There can be less "fall out" (we hope!), and products can come together even better than projected.

For these reasons, it is impossible to work to exact target numbers. The reality of production is that the actual number will be whatever it is. Shortages bring on frustrations from the dealers, as there isn't enough to go around. Overages usually make our dealers happy, as there is more than enough product to satisfy demand. For end users, a boutique run that doesn't meet its target can be considered rare and desirable. This is what happens with most of our limited editions.

—Thomas Welk, Director of Sales & Marketing, Sporting Division

The Zero Tolerance 0560CBCF is an example of one of our limited edition boutique runs. This one is styled like the 0560, but with a striking Composite Blade and carbon fiber handles.

Good seeing Thomas putting out info like that. I wish he was back around here.

This should be a sticky. I wish Thomas was here, but I don't blame him for leaving. I think a lot of people would if people are going to continuously bash Kershaw/ZT for no reason.

Thanks for sharing! It is good to see explanations put out there so people can calm down and just enjoy the knives! I for one love it when they make even more so that many more can enjoy the effort and craftsmanship put into these blades.

Great information. I hope the 0777 is able to hit its targeted quantity so I have a good chance of having my pre-order filled.

This should be a sticky. I wish Thomas was here, but I don't blame him for leaving. I think a lot of people would if people are going to continuously bash Kershaw/ZT for no reason.

I wish he was here too, he was nothing but an asset to the community. It's a fact that no one likes whiners and chronic complainers. That is not to say that when an issue comes up, one should settle for it. But the method in which most of these problems are handled by the customers (as seen in countless threads here) isn't best practice in the opinion of many.

I wish he was here too, he was nothing but an asset to the community. It's a fact that no one likes whiners and chronic complainers. That is not to say that when an issue comes up, one should settle for it. But the method in which most of these problems are handled by the customers (as seen in countless threads here) isn't best practice in the opinion of many.

All of it true.

I think its sad. He never should have had to put that statement out. Its a non issue. When there is more complaining going on than use or enjoyment of knives its a sad day.

I agree 100%. If people nicely and constructively say what they don't like about a knife or what they would change about it, than I don't have a problem. If someone says "I *blankety-blank* this knife and Kershaw hasn't done anything to fix it!! I bet all of their knives are crap!!!, I have no respect for them and they don't deserve the awesome customer service that KAI employs every-day to every customer regardless of how they're acting. KAI shouldn't have to deal with that, but they still do their best to be as professional as possible.

:mad:It seems that when most folks come to the forums to complain, they tell half the story. The perceived or actual flaw in a knife. Yet there is no conclusion, every story needs a conclusion. So someone will feverently write one of many of the following:
My knife doesn't flip right
It's too big, heavy, bulky, jimping is too sharp
The detent is too hard/nonexistant
The blade is dull/unevenly ground
My blade is off centered
I can't put it back together after I thought to "clean it"
All the screws stripped
The lock failed after I smashed it on a 2x4
Whatever else you can think of.

Not saying some of these issues aren't real for some people, but damn it gets old, very old very fast. Some knives are not for everyone, and no amount of complaining is going to make that knife fit the person's criteria any better.

Here is a thought, before starting a thread... Contact customer service and find out if they consider the percieved defect an actual defect, then when you send the knife off, and get it back, then report your commentary. Don't give us half the story. You don't have to be a fanboy to wnt a complete story. Do you? I mean, at the very least it would make for a much more entertaining read.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed every Kershaw knife that I have ever owned. The ZT line to me is the pinnacle of Kai's USA production.I would really love a set of Shun kitchen knives some day.I miss Thomas's posts and insider knowledge along with pictures of production.I have not seen that kind of transparency since he left this board.

Best regards,
salmonkiller

Just thinking back in my mind to when they released the 0560/1, I can understand why Thomas bounced. That crap even gave me a headache.

I'm wondering if they will approve the comments that have been submitted. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has left one there...

I'm assuming they didn't like mine because it's not on there. ;) Of course I may have had some derogatory comments toward some people on here. lol

Did you see the comment on there from the guy named "John"? Perfect example of what gets old. He took the time to rain on their parade about how they wouldn't make good edc blades because they are to expensive and he would be afraid of losing one. But what bothered me even more was when he went on to say he's afraid of liner locks and frame locks for "hard use" because he feels they will fail and close on his fingers lol. People drive me insane everyday I really don't like very many of them! :)

Back