Inspired by the Wharncliffe Voyager Mod thread....

I think it looks great, man. What tools did you use?

I like the wave modification also.

I like that a lot! Did you use a dremel? What did you use to cool it?

Thanks!!
I used a hand grinder with a cut off wheel to make the biggest two cuts on the blade and butt.
I then used my new belt sander to finish it out and then stippled the 'Grivory' scales with my soldering iron.
I just kept a cup of water beside the sander to dunk it in every few minutes or so

The wave feature was just a junked multi tool cut off and shaped into a 'leg' to grab the pocket on the draw held in place by the thumb screw.
It works great!!

Thanks CSK!!
Looking forward to the Wharncliffe Voyager/Recon 1 XL!
hint...hint...hint...

:D>

Seeing this thread a few years ago inspired me to pick up a few XL Tantos, and develop some new skills in pursuit of the ultimate large and tough folding Wharncliffe. I became
addicted to making large folding Wharncliffes. Below is the photographic evidence! Everything but the Endura in the picture has been sold or given away.

Modded%20Knives%20-%20Cold%20Steel%20and%20Spyderco.jpg

That pic is a couple years old now, and I started wanting to have a large folding wharncliffe around again. Yesterday I worked on one of two XL Voyagers in AUS10A I bought with this purpose in mind.
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4551.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG

The blade is presently with a millwright who will put a 14 mm thumb hole into the blade for me, if he can clamp the blade into his mill, that is.

Then the next step is to try my hand at making folder scales for the first time, using only hand tools. This picture of the other XL Tanto and Spyderco Military serves as a basic direction in which I intend to take the handle shape, and the material of choice will be coarse black peel ply G10. I tapped Cold Steel G10 for pocket clip screws on the XL Recon 1 in the above pic, and they held, so I have no qualms tapping Masecraft G10 for this project. I hope the 2-56 taps I have on order are the right size. I intend to tap it for tip down carry,which the Military taught me to love in 5 inch handled knives.

IMG_4543.JPG

I think it'll be an awesome knife.

I got the blade back from my coworker, and I have to say, it's pretty exciting.

Cold%20Steel%20Voyager%20Tanto%20XL%20to%20Wharncliffe%20with%20Thumbhole.JPG

I tried to do the scales, but alas, my first attempt at folder scales failed, despite making a hundred or more fixed blade handles. I'm using a handheld drill, and made the mistake of drilling all the way through before countersinking, which led to my "countersink" hole being basically all the way through the scale. Good thing I have a few square feet of peel ply G10! I'll try again once I have the time and I'm ready.

What to do with my other Voyager Tanto XL... ?

Back