1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How To Install M&P Sight?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Oct 10, 2017.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    So I bought a set of hiviz fiber optic sights for my m&p 2.0. The rear sight went in perfect. I bought a set of nylon punches to install the front sight and ended up mashing the ends. I sanded down the sight with 120 grit, maybe 15 4" passes from both directions (30), pressed in 1/3 of the way. Had to use a 1" brass punch to get it in the rest of the way. Found the sight to be crooked once installed (may have slipped the nylon punch when it cracked).

Did I sand too little out do they press in hard anyways? It came out easy. No deformation of the slide dovetail or finish damage.

How much do you have to sand off on average? I ordered a 5/16 brass punch to install the new set I got coming. The directions say to be able to press it in 1/3 the way. Is that 1/3 into the slide dovetail or 1/3 of the sight dovetail?

Any other tips? I think I'm going to loctite the screw before I install the rear sight. Can I use ballistol in the dovetails before I install them or will that make them slip after being installed? I want to get them right the second time around. [​IMG]

2. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    The M&P front sights are usually pretty snug. I've installed several with just an aluminum punch, but recently purchased a sight pusher.

A sight pusher is the way to go if you don't mind the expense, but a punch works too.

I don't know exactly how much material I typically remove, but it's not much. The sights need to be reasonably tight so they don't fly off during recoil.

Maybe try tapping it in using a block of wood or micarta. This works better than a punch IMO, because the force seems to be more evenly distributed.

3. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I was going to say a sight drifter is much easier and not so much chance of damage. You an buy some sight drifters very reasonable anymore. And yes alot of guns are more difficult then say a standard 1911 so it's a good investment if you shoot much.

The ballistol shouldn't cause it to slide but it can gum up a bit and attract debris.