Integral lock with an integral handle?

Is it time? Should CRK join the crowd now producing knives with an integral handle (both sides, backspacer, and lock machined from a single piece of Ti)? I know CRK does their own thing, but just wondering what the other fan-boys and girls think? Would you pay what it would cost to make such a beast at CRK levels of quality and design, or do you prefer the present slab and post construction? Is the 'flow-through' design of the present CRK line up a plus for you, or not that impressive any more when compared to say a SR1 with its solid handle? Can it even be done and still be affordable? Will it have to happen to keep CRK at the top of the production folder game?

Curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Should CRK make a production integral framelock? I have no idea. Will they? I'd bet my large regular bg42 that they won't. Personally, I'd be for it. I'm not a huge fan of the Lionsteel offerings. I do lust after the Scott Cook and Michael Raymond integrals, but they are just too rare and expensive. It would be nice to have a company like CRK behind such an offering. I'm sure it would be twice the cost of the current folder prices that they have right now though, but I think people would buy them.

I am not all that impressed with the concept. I'm not saying that CRK is the best it gets, but I am not sure I see any advantages to the milled mono-slab concept.

Is it supposed to be stronger? Ever see a broken slab and post design?

Honestly, it just seems like an expensive way to solve a problem I don't have.

I am not all that impressed with the concept. I'm not saying that CRK is the best it gets, but I am not sure I see any advantages to the milled mono-slab concept.

Is it supposed to be stronger? Ever see a broken slab and post design?

Honestly, it just seems like an expensive way to solve a problem I don't have.

I'm not sure if they are stronger. I think in their way they have some "wow factor" in that they are an achievement in machining. It can be argued they look more finished. To a casual observer, which is not a 'knife person', they may be easier to marvel at, being a further exercise in simplicity, with the handle, and lock, all one piece. Not owning one, I would guess they are more comfortable?

I don't know really, which is why I put the question out there.

Last edited:
Fewer parts is always better but one needs to ask "better" for what. Does it make the knife a better tool and more able to do its job ? I would say no it doesn't so it's "better" at something it doesn't need to be "better" at. An intergral handle is a superb thing and makes for a very swanky looking knife that even non knife people take a second look at. You are going to have a rather hard time getting me to believe of any merit to an intergral out side of being cool and done largly because one could rather than should, or at least needed to. They also open the door to a few other fit, finish, wear and repaire problems that slab construction don't have.
I would like to see what CRK would do with the idea but I don't see it as a move forward or something the feel they should do to "catch up" or anything like that. :)

I personally like the open look better, and it would make the knife harder to service and much more expensive. As unit stated, I have never seen a broken scale!
Plus, I think it's a moot point since the chances that CRK would do that anytime soon is the same as me winning the lottery. (Which I don't play)

Edit to add: I was very intrigued by the new lion steel lockback with the one piece carbon fiber handle. However, just the thought of trying to put it back together (it has IKBS!) made my head hurt! Simple is better at times:)

I don't know the answer but I love the question. Being a user and not a collector I like the open look and easy to service. And then I do marvel at the one piece frame. The new Michael Raymond that is up for bid is such a beautiful knife. So keep coming up with the questions it does make one think.

I'll add that accumulated pocket lint and other typical debris makes me appreciate knives with open design.

I suppose someone could machine an open design from a single block, but being able to open it up and scrub the nastiness that seems to accumulate over time is a feature I like.

Not sure if I would like a one piece CRK or not. I have looked at a LionSteel TiSpine many times but have not pulled the trigger yet. I have held off on a TISpine for two reason. First is limits on takedown, cleaning and maintenance. Second is the TiPsine seems to be somewhere in between a gentleman folder and a normal EDC user. Therefore, if Chris and the crew did make one, call it the Sebenza 28, I would certainly pay to get one and check it out. I trust if the Sebenza 28 came out it would be a good EDC choice and user maintenance would be a given.

Good thoughtful question to start my Saturday. Now it's off to yard work, etc. Hopefully some cool use for my 25 will come up so I can add a post in nyfemaker's "what did your Sebenza do for you today thread".

Happy Saturday all.

I have a Ti-Spine and have handled a Lochsa. My initial impression was that they are both a little heavy for their size. Lionsteel uses a 4 axis milling machine which may help keep the prices lower. My preferred construction is a Ti slab which has been milled out on the underside ala William Henry.

the open frame of the 21 is great, easy to clean and to take apart
the one piece construction is indeed very cool but as a folder is well, a folder, I don't feel the need altough being friend with Molletta we often discussed about pros and cons of the super tough single piece knife
the inegral construction may be harder to clean and disassemble, the Sr1 is a bit of a nightmare sometimes

of course, an integral CRK would definitively be the coolest!

Ive owned a Lochsa for a brief time and was NOT overly impressed. Yeah, its "cool", and there is a certain mystique of attaining one, but IMO, thats it. I held my 25 and Lochsa side by side and compared them honestly....the CRK wins, hands down. Other than the integral feature on the Lochsa, the 25 is built sturdier and feels stronger.

I would personally hope CRK would design something different other than an integral, BUT if they did...id be first in line to buy one!!

An integral CRK, sweet idea !
I doubt he'll ever make one but if he did I'd buy it. I don't think that they're necessarily better than the two slab bed design but they are a marvel in their own right that is a pleasure for any knife but or machinist to own and spend time using or just plain looking at. I've had a couple of Estrella's, fondled several more, handled the Microtech Anax ( best non otf knife they ever made), and I had the pleasure of spending some time with a Rassenti Nirvana( awesome ). I liked them all very much but 2 things always bugged me.
1) they're heavy when compared to a non integral.
2) I wondered how they'd repair them if the lock ever wore out.

On the Estrella it'd be a new blade, not sure if the stop pin could've been pressed out of the Nirvana and a larger hole drilled through it to accommodate a larger pin to reduce lock engagement could be done or not.

I know that neither of these two things are an issue on a Sebenza.

The feel of the full backed titanium integral handle is superlative though and I really would like to see Chris flex his muscles and show the custom guys( and even Microtech with the Anax ) how it's done !

How about a 'semi' integral integrated lock (similar to the Strider design) where the presentation slab could be screwed on with 2 screws & the seam would be nearly invisible (given Chris' mastery of machining)?

Then you could have an integral design that could still be taken down for cleaning & look "streamlined" to boot.

I see that as the best of both worlds. Some sort of interlocking back spacer that is integral to either side scale would be nice to see. :):thumbup:

How about a 'semi' integral integrated lock (similar to the Strider design) where the presentation slab could be screwed on with 2 screws & the seam would be nearly invisible (given Chris' mastery of machining)?

Then you could have an integral design that could still be taken down for cleaning & look "streamlined" to boot.

Rneiman3 for the win! That's a great idea. Your idea is genius. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yes Haze I know. Let me qualify: Rneiman3 for the win! That's a great idea. Your idea (for suggesting that Chris Reeve Knives integrate the nice take-down features of the existing CRK line-up, with the aesthetic beauty of an integral handle, using the tried and true methods of Strider et al) is genius

I hate to keep doing this, but that idea has been thrown about here in the CRK forum a few times. :D

Yes Haze I know. Let me qualify: Rneiman3 for the win! That's a great idea. Your idea (for suggesting that Chris Reeve Knives integrate the nice take-down features of the existing CRK line-up, with the aesthetic beauty of an integral handle, using the tried and true methods of Strider et al) is genius

Back