Interest in carbon fiber knife handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I am a mechanical engineer and currently boat builder and avid tinkerer but am new to the knife world.

At my current employment we are building a large all prepreg carbon fiber boat and go through A LOT of carbon and make a whole lot of small and medium sized scrap.
I am looking for innovative ways to make use of this scrap rather than our current alternative that is to cook off and through the scrap in the trash which isnt very eco-friendly

I was thinking making knife handles would be a good use of the scrap. I could lay it up into quasi-iso plate and then machine them on my hobby cnc i have in my personal shop.
Is there any interest in CF handles currently? If so what is the average cost range?
and my next question is. is there a good place to buy blades to make handles for? or a resource for handle patterns for existing knifes? or would any blade manufacturer be interested in an eco friendly partnership of sorts?

Anyway any advice and or comments are greatly appreciated.

Stephan

I have used carbon fiber pieces for numerous handles, from 3/4" thick to 1/4". Laying up some scrap on surface plates and making pieces is a good idea. Post what you make.

Larry
Tinkerer

Hey guys,
I am a mechanical engineer and currently boat builder and avid tinkerer but am new to the knife world.

At my current employment we are building a large all prepreg carbon fiber boat and go through A LOT of carbon and make a whole lot of small and medium sized scrap.
I am looking for innovative ways to make use of this scrap rather than our current alternative that is to cook off and through the scrap in the trash which isnt very eco-friendly

I was thinking making knife handles would be a good use of the scrap. I could lay it up into quasi-iso plate and then machine them on my hobby cnc i have in my personal shop.
Is there any interest in CF handles currently? If so what is the average cost range?
and my next question is. is there a good place to buy blades to make handles for? or a resource for handle patterns for existing knifes? or would any blade manufacturer be interested in an eco friendly partnership of sorts?

Anyway any advice and or comments are greatly appreciated.

Stephan

I like marbled carbon fiber :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...arbled-Carbon-Fiber-amp-Iguana-Flipper-(sold)

I'd personally just make small slabs out of them. But if you're going to inquire about making and selling here you need the propper membership so be careful how you're posting. Check the forum guidelines.

I have used carbon fiber pieces for numerous handles, from 3/4" thick to 1/4". Laying up some scrap on surface plates and making pieces is a good idea. Post what you make.

Larry
Tinkerer

I second what Larry says and Natlek too.

What is available? 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4 would be best for what I need, but what can you provide?

Careful about posting sale/pricing inquiries without a maker/dealer membership.

Lots of makers use carbon fiber for handle scales, inlays, clips, and other parts, but it's got to be relatively flat and free of voids.

I've laid some up myself for handles. Having done a small bit of boat building type laminate work with carbon and fiberglass I can't understand why it's so expensive to buy. So while I won't make "mycarta" I have no problem laying up my own carbon and vacuum bagging it.

I would be interested in flat blocks that came in the same sizes I buy micarta or G10 in. 5" x 12" in .125, .25, and .375 thickness if the price is considerably cheaper than whats available now.

I don't particularly care for it myself. But I made a friend a 1/4" thick kukri that weighs probably 2 lbs, and I made carbon scales for that "to save weight" :D It does look nice when used in conjunction with other materials like wood as bolsters.

If you want to make scales I suggest you buy a $12 set of zytel Becker scales from Ebay and copy them to mill carbon scales out of, since BK users seem to do a fair amount of scale swapping.

i love how it looks but from what i have seen it costs about $50 for enough to handle one knife in 3/8" thickness scales. maybe someday.. jantz knife supply and texas knife supply sell blade blanks in many styles.

Even waste carbon that is not good for the handle is good :) Burn it ......and you have pure carbon to make some marble carbon scale :)

i love how it looks but from what i have seen it costs about $50 for enough to handle one knife in 3/8" thickness scales. maybe someday.. jantz knife supply and texas knife supply sell blade blanks in many styles.

John, you can get it much cheaper. Check out AJ composites on Instagram.
He has great deals on carbon fiber almost every day. Plus he's making glow green marble carbon fiber, red marble, all kinds of cool stuff.

I think this thread is gettingntoo much off the nrules.

scvaast - Your question and posts are sort of like you are sounding ou selling the stuff. Asd a registered user you aren't allowed that type post.

Noseoil - You should know better than ask about prices and buying from a non-allowed post.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back