Interesting Idea, Cold Steel, But No Thanks.

Looks pretty normal to me other than the unusual hafting manner, but that's just my take. Lots of variations out there I consider more aesthetically pleasing.

Yes, more on this later with video explanations. It's more than just screws holding it on, it's actually really innovative and I can't wait to show everyone.
The Cold Steel rep said this about the Hudson Bay camp axe.

Possible, for sure. I'm not a hardcore axe guy, so I'm really hoping some of you with a lot of knowledge and opportunity, give one of these a good, solid thrashing! I don't think it'll revolutionize axes or anything, but it could be another solid option. We just don't know yet. We need a good review (hint,hint;)).
You buy it and I'll review it..:) I'll p.m. you my shipping address..;)

This thread is pretty much what I expected when I saw that new head. I wonder what people said when the first Fiskars axe appeared. I will withhold judgement until I know more details. The folks at Cold Steel are not completely inept, so I will give them he benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm all for innovation, and I can understand how this fastening method might be an legitimately decent method for their throwing hatchets, but using it on a work axe with the short eye of a Hudson Bay just raises too many opportunities for failure with too few advantages. How often does one expect to be replacing the handle on their Hudson Bay axe vs. using the poll to hammer things?

Here's a video showing the additional features that keep it from flying off the handle, and I somehow like the idea even less now. It adds a layer of complicating factors in fitting unless using their specific handles.

Regular axe handles as have been used for hundreds of years come loose over time and with poor maintenance, so would these, not because of it being a bad idea, but the wood will shrink and expand with humidity and loosen up, and then once there is no adjustment left, or if there is none to begin with, the head will come off the handle. If you put too much adjustment into it so you can tighten the bolts down as the handle wood is crushed, then you will eventually deform or crack the head.

With traditional handles you can keep putting in new or more wedges as the handle dries out or crushes and gets loose. I can see the owner of one of these eventually tightening the bolts up all the way or welding it solid and just wedging a regular handle into it, but unless they have taper in the hole the handle goes into, it still would not last as long as a traditional axe-head's handle that has that "adze" eye that will not let the wider wedged end of the handle pull through the body.

It would probably work great with a steel handle that would not crush or shrink over time as wood does.

Back