Interesting "Items" You Find

RyanW

I run across a lot of neat gadgets and gear and would love to get input from the group, usually they are outdoor related as that is where my interests lie. Feel free to share any innovative, new or even strange / stupid contraptions here.

To start it off, I love fire starting methods from Primitive to High Tech.
Just saw this in an email sent to me from "Survival Life"

Video at this link: https://secure.survivallife.com/lan...Redirect&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=[Everstryke][Affiliates]&Contact0LeadSourceId=18323[SUP][/SUP]

My thoughts:
I like and carry fire steel and Carbon knife with me anytime I am outdoors. I can usually find natural materials where I live that will take a spark fairly easily. My younger kids (10 Yr. Old) carry one of the ESEE Steels with a compartment for PJCB that they can use for easy lights. I hate things that need to be filled with lighter fluid or butane because they get used so infrequently that chances are they will be empty when you need them. I can see this might be nice in a very wet environment where it is hard to find dry tinder. I do carry a Standard Bic lighter in my pocket most of the time and consider my Firesteel a back up.

Love to hear your thoughts (Pros or Cons)

UPDATE: Just an FYI, the link offers it free if you pay Shipping and Handling... You will be run though a bunch of videos, asking you to subscribe to a million things and then spammed by Survival Life after that.... Buyer Beware! ;) - and no I did not order one, just familiar with "Survival Life"
*** If you do a Google search there are other options out there, even similar products ***

Last edited:
I have 1 or 2 of those around here Ryan. I ordered 20 of them a couple years ago and took them to a survival course and handed them out. When it was cold and we were in a hurry to get a fire going we just emptied the fuel on to some timber and lit it up. The wicks dont last very long, and i noticed after a week or 2 one that had never been used was out of fuel, it leaked, evaporated out or whatever, but i filled it up, never used it and still the fuel was gone. But for a dollar each they were pretty cool.

I carry an Exotac XL nanostriker on my keychain, its always with me. Over the last 12 years i have used and carried hundreds of different fire starters. The exotac's are a little pricey for a firesteel but i like that it keeps the striker and steel together in a nice looking package.

But anytime im going in the woods i also have a fixed blade or 2/3 and at least one of them has a firesteel with it as well.

My neck knife setup

Belt survival setup, multiple fire starters

Great Kit WW! I also have an exotac on my key ring

I also find that when "Refillable" liquid fuel is involved they tend to be dry when you need them.

John, I like the idea of using it as a flask, but would just leave me wanting more!

well simple little gadgets are always of interest. I remember when I found this pocket knife and it wasn't just the knife it was swiss made multipurpose knife type gadget! was pretty interesting at the time! :D

Back