1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting leather 2 >>

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by paneraica, Oct 5, 2018.

1. paneraica

paneraica

Mar 4, 2011
    Last year I posted about a 235 year old Metta Catharina leather which is probably impossible to find any more of.

I have one little piece left to make a strap from and shipped off what was left to another person

This leather I got from Japan. Took about two months from the original order to receive as it's a hand rubbed lacquer finished material

Various grades of pebbled finishes from light to heavy. I spotted this while searching on leather material and saw it on a pair of custom shoes. Was able to order a small amount.

While I do like the leather. Wasn't happy about the thickness which was advertised as 1.8 mm and showed up at 1 mm which meant I really couldn't use it for my heavier straps as my liner material was only 2 mm and my heavier straps are close to 4 mm thick, so use it for lighter and some tapered models

Leather is so dark that any small holes get swallowed up so a little difficult to hand sew. Have to do it under a bright light to spot the holes

Heavier grained material originally used in Samurai armor for protection. It was then used in making Kendo armor.

Shoes, wallets, notebooks etc. Wide variety of uses. I use it for watch straps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm always looking for interesting leathers. Especially if I can buy in small amounts (in case not great material), so always good if I find something I can use that's different from what others are using

DON

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thats really cool stuff!

3. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    I love that pebbled surface! Nice.

4. paneraica

paneraica

Mar 4, 2011
    If either of you do inlays for sheaths. Send me an email and will send you a piece

Just pay the s/h and will send what fits into a standard envelope and will let you know s/h

If under 50 grams. About a $1.80

Can email me at [email protected]

DON