Interesting SAK find

arrowhd

Gold Member
Stumbled upon this SAK today at a local antique shop. Scales are pinned. Cork screw and punch are totally different than modern SAK's. I'm curious if anyone has any information about what I have here.

fe01tcb.jpg

Ahivg4b.jpg

edCryW5.jpg

zZlg64D.jpg

9X58dYc.jpg

I am the farthest thing from an expert and I’m sure someone will chime in, but I’d say from the 50’s maybe??? Cool find! I keep my eyes open for a decent one that won’t break the bank.

If you go to SAKWIKI/ Climber and scroll down to the history section. You will find there was a model, that evolved into what is now the climber, named the traveler. It's tool set seems to match the pictures of your knife. In particular it had no key ring, it had a clip-point small blade and a grooved corkscrew. It doesn't mention the old style awl, but that would be consistent with the time period also. It suggests the late 1970s as to the time frame.

O.B.

The awl was redesigned in 1961, so it is older than that. Model is a Traveller if Sakwiki is accurate.

Tool set does seem to match the older Traveller model. Anyone know when they stopped pinning the scales?

Supposedly the rivets become hidden around 1961, but for some models like the Offizersmesser, the rivets are hidden in 1957.

Tool set does seem to match the older Traveller model. Anyone know when they stopped pinning the scales?
Victorinox has a bad habit of recycling names. There was more than one Traveller model. But Sakwiki also says the one in question probably dates back to the seventies and this knife is clearly older than that.

if its anything to go by
we're talking about sonething
close to 60 - 70 years ....
original owners may no longer
be around to tell :)

Back