Interesting thread

eveled

Gold Member
Somebody posted a question about high end custom knives and it turned into a Randall bash. I know Randall's aren't the fanciest, but to me they are pretty special. Of course I enjoyed my Bucks and Kabars and PAL's too. Just a common man, Randall's suit me fine. If there really is something better about those other knives it escapes me. $3500 for a sheath knife? Not me. Any thoughts?

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/3-495-just-trying-to-learn-why.1589895/page-6#post-18161266

After I posted this, the other thread calmed down. I guess in some ways it comes down to wether you are buying a tool, or art. And how deep your pockets are. lol!

Hey, I was part of that conversation, and didn't get the critiques of Randalls either... things did work out though. Yeah, while I get the extra touches that went into the higher cost knives, I didn't think the extras translated into higher value... at least for me. Clearly I thought otherwise about the Randalls I own. It's also pretty clear that tastes vary widely among knife users and aficionados.

A Randall can have fairly large variations depending on what aspect your talking about. One guy in that thread posted a picture of the jimping on his 28 and I've had a few like that too.

A received a custom 5-6 the other day, it's perfect and has the best grind I've ever seen on a 5-6 and I've had a few. The jimping is perfect on it too lol. I think a few base models especially full tangs are built different than more custom knife orders.

When you get into $5000 dollar custom knives that's a whole different market.

Here's two knives same specs!

Last edited:
Back