Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

Sure thing Jack. I vaguely remember seeing something about his death, but I couldn't find remember the thread. Just in case I was imagining things I created this thread.

That paper is from the future, being date March 4, 2021. It's only March 3rd here!

Well the world's a little worse off now...

Jack, thank you for bringing Stan's shop to this forum, and please pass our condolences on to his family.

I will my friend. Sadly, with our current state of lockdown, I have not yet been able to purchase 'Sympathy' cards, but I will write to Rosemary soon :thumbsup:

Sure thing Jack. I vaguely remember seeing something about his death, but I couldn't find remember the thread. Just in case I was imagining things I created this thread.

That paper is from the future, being date March 4, 2021. It's only March 3rd here!

Thank you Christian :thumbsup:

I think that is a free weekly paper (mainly contains advertising), so perhaps they date it each Thursday? :confused:

Jack, You did a very nice thing introducing so many of us to Stan and his work. He does not appear to have been a man seeking fame, but must have pleased him to know so many people appreciated his work and respected him for his long, long career in the cutlery business, thanks to you and your postings. John

Jack, You did a very nice thing introducing so many of us to Stan and his work. He does not appear to have been a man seeking fame, but must have pleased him to know so many people appreciated his work and respected him for his long, long career in the cutlery business, thanks to you and your postings. John

Thank you John. Stan was a very humble man, and he never went on the internet, but he was very proud of his knives, and it certainly pleased him they were so well-regarded. I think it would have made him smile that so many folks that he never met thought something of him. I remember him telling me that he had heard that collectors were looking inside the liners of old Ibberson knives to try and find his initials, it really tickled him :) :thumbsup:

A brief report on Stan Shaw's funeral from the local press, with photos.

b25lY21zOjVjZWNkZDA4LTY2MWUtNGFiNS1hNzQ2LTk0YjQ5MjAwODYzYzo1ZWExMGM2YS1jYWMyLTQ4MzctYTI5MS05YTcwYTA1NWIwN2E=.jpg

Stan was an amazing man, Rest in peace Stan Sir, My condolences to his good friend Jack. Stan certainly left an impression on me to last a lifetime, I have never swayed from this after meeting with him, and wont.

I remember him telling me that he had heard that collectors were looking inside the liners of old Ibberson knives to try and find his initials, it really tickled him :)
These words you quoted reminded me of this Knife tucked in a safe cranny of my knife safe, Jack!! I too, have looked inside many older Ibbersons!!:rolleyes:Ibberson Shaw 1.jpg Ibberson Shaw 2.jpg Ibberson Shaw 3.jpg Ibberson Shaw 4.jpg Ibberson Shaw 5.jpg
With Stan's initials, and the year "74", and Stan's signature filing style, it is pretty sure that He made this knife as a Younger Cutler, 47 years ago!!:)
At about 47 years old!!:cool:Ibberson Shaw 1.jpg Ibberson Shaw 2.jpg Ibberson Shaw 3.jpg Ibberson Shaw 4.jpg Ibberson Shaw 5.jpg
His life has influenced a lot of collectors, and knife afficionados!!
RIP Stan!!

Charlie- now that's a treasure to behold! One day I will stumble upon even just the simplest Stainless Ibberson and hopefully find his Initials- I remember our visit so vividly and still feel how he impressed me- The three of us left Stans Shop after spending a nice part of the morning with him, Jack Sue and I all really enjoyed the visit and Stan.

Charlie Sir - you are right, in fact I remember saying to both Jack and Sue, because Stan was just so lovely- here is the amazing man who really enjoyed demonstrating his skills to us - talking to us with such enthusiasm, that he was such a lovely man, Sue herself was very taken with Stan, so too was our Jack!

I hope one day, that I touch the hearts of people like that.

Charlie Sir - you are right, in fact I remember saying to both Jack and Sue, because Stan was just so lovely- here is the amazing man who really enjoyed demonstrating his skills to us - talking to us with such enthusiasm, that he was such a lovely man, Sue herself was very taken with Stan, so too was our Jack!

I hope one day, that I touch the hearts of people like that.

I was saying to Rosemary, Stan's widow, that I don't know a single person who met him, who wasn't touched by him :) I could say the same about you Duncan :thumbsup:

Charlie, I really wish you could have met Stan :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black I do like looking through this thread and seeing the master at work, RIP Stan. I was wondering though, what has become of his workshop? Has it been left as was or are there new knifemakers/artisans using it?
I would like to pay a visit to the museum at some point, it would be great to see where he worked.

Jack Black Jack Black I do like looking through this thread and seeing the master at work, RIP Stan. I was wondering though, what has become of his workshop? Has it been left as was or are there new knifemakers/artisans using it?
I would like to pay a visit to the museum at some point, it would be great to see where he worked.
I haven't been over to Sheffield since Stan passed, and as he is no longer there, having visited it many scores of times, I have no immediate wish to visit the museum. I don't know what is happening to Stan's workshop, but for now, at least, I hope that they leave it as it was on the day he was last at work there. I don't know what current visiting arrangements are with the museum (visits to most local museums have to be booked in advance at the moment), but I would definitely give them a ring before visiting :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, I do hope it remains as a time capsule.
I hope so too. I know that other Sheffield knife makers have had their eye on the space for a few years now, but there is plenty of space there :thumbsup:

Back