Interview Suprise!!

As an engineer out in the field, (telecomm) I have carried some type of knife along with tools for ever. Even when in a suit! While interviewing for a large company in NYC, the HR guy asked me to empty my pockets! At first i was really confused, then I started to think that my refusal may be detrimential to my future with this seemingly perfect company.

My pockets contained just a few things;

Zippo Lighter (I am not a reg. smoker)
Whistle on house keys.
Little Mag Lite on car keys.
Wallet with book of matches and bandaids.
CS Mini-pal on car keys.
BM mel pardue on hip.
Pager.
Pocket Change, two of all denominations.

He was so interested in why I carried everything, we never got to the real interview!

He explained how he wants all his people to already know that they need to be prepared for anything in the field. He said the only thing I should have had in my coat pocket was a phone. I had one in my car, thought ti was rude to receive calls in an interview!

I was trained by my father to carry on me what I would need to survive a night out in the middle of nowhere. It paid off. Got the job, and even got a Swiss Army Knife from the HR guy as a welcome aboard gift!

------------------
God's choices in inflicicting suffering are unsatisfactory to us, nor are they understandable, unless innocence offends him. Clearly he needs some help in directing the blind fury with which he flogs the earth...

Cool. Congrats on the new job.

------------------
The vague and tenuous hope that GOD is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the conscience of millions.

*A. W. Tozer

2 Cor 5:10

Congratulations on the job. Weirdest thing I had someone do to me on an interview was when I was pretty much just our of college. THe interviewer said, "It is very muggy in here, could you please open the window?" So I got up and tried, after a minute or two f frustration I noticed the window was screwed shut. Here I could have taken out my swiss army knife and tried to fight the screws out, tell the man I could not do it, or take option C.

Being that I was a tad angry at the game he was playing, checking out my response to his little game. I picked up my briefcase and broke the window. Needless to say I didnt get the job, but I think he got a different gimmick from what I heard later.

Gee guys... Those stories make me want to go on some interviews just entertain myself and get some of my own stories to tell !

MichLee: I would've loved to see the expression on the interviews face when you broke the window!

------------------
AirMojo the Airgunning Harmonica Man

In my younger days (much younger) I was going before the board for my Eagle Scout award. I was asked if I had a pocket knife, I responded yes and handed it to them. It was well worn and shaving sharp. The interviewer tested the blade handed it back and approved the promotion. Still have a blade on me (small Sebenza) still shaving sharp.

Pat

Back