Intro with Frost Question

Hi everyone, been lurking on the edges for a year or so, then registered and finally started annoying y'all with questions. Favorite knives: Schrade, of course...favorite pattern: whittlers. I got a Frost 804 splitback whittler a while back on the bayside for about $25. Turned out better then expectations, looked liked cheap plastic handles but turned out to be thick bone. I'm very happy with it. Wondering where it may have been made. It's an advertising knife, main blade has the name of a fencing company and a phone # etched. Small clip blade has 1998 etched on it. Tang stamps on main blade only, front says Frost Cutlery and shows the eagle logo. Back stamp reads surgical steel.
The quality of it overall isn't up to what my half dozen or so Schrade 804's exhibit but it's an excellent knife. I was just curious if it was an early Japanese import or made in the USA and is so which factory would have it been made at in 1998? Thanks.

You know, I tried to sign up as a Basic member today so that I could post a small attachment but it just wouldn't work. Paypal ain't been cooperative with my dial-up isp for the last year or so. I'll have to get to the library to utilize their wireless to so I'll be able to receive the perks of a paid member.
I've been looking around the web today to see what could be found about this knife. Nothing comparable on the bay or Etsy. I had already checked Schrade collectors but they only had one Frost catalog, no whittler's. I had looked at a couple of the Parker catalogs, they had whittler's but not an 804 clone. Thanks for the pointer, I'll look at the rest of the Parker catalogs. Seems to me I've seen reference to the Jim Parker knives in a Schrade catalog but can't remember which one.
I was beginning to speculate that Frost just stole the design. It's not a perfect clone. The bolster's aren't threaded and the tapered swedge that spits the back springs is made of steel and not brass like the Schrade 804's. But the body, shape, length, blade layout and dimensions are exactly that of the 804. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If this is a knife you found on eBay, and the auction has now ended.
You can post the eBay number or link to that sale... Ken

Didn't spend much time on this question today, went shopping for tomorrow's picnic. Have been mining this forum for info. I'm a history buff and love reading about both the history of ISC products and of this forum itself. But I did see a funny item on the bay that got me thinking about what folks consider whittler's. I like collecting whittler's cause I enjoy whittling. Ain't good at it but it's relaxing. And the 804 is my very favorite, it's size and heft fits my hand perfectly. A Case 6380 comes in a close second and their Seahorse is almost the right size but as beautiful knife as it is, the handle tapers too much for me. The Cam 72 is my fav smaller size. The funny item that was found is called a Frost Exterminator. Feel free to bid on it, way too big! Over 6 inches long. You could probably kill a bear with this thing but it would be too big to whittle with. Box says Exterminator Whittler, so it's not a seller issue. My collection is quite meager, mostly cheap knives nearly used up, it's what's affordable. This Exterminator is in my budget and what I like to collect, but my collection consists of knives that I actually can and do use. Couldn't use this Exterminator.

Back